Join for free
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 12:14 AM

Virgin super hub

Any one on here got the new virgin super hub ??? if so what are you thoughts about it .....I got one a few months ago and it is absolutely appalling ....I can spit further than its signal goes ...we had the whole house covered with by my old router l modem combination , but when i got a few issues with the old one , I was told it was obsolete and i would need a new one and they would also upgrade my speeds as well ...Now my daughter cannot use her wi console her computer drops out and i have been told i need more equipment ( a extender) which could cost about £50 ...Virgin refused to do anything about it as well..well they are now going to have to supply me with an new one as when i was moving it to try to improve the range I accidently caught the cable , the whole connection snapped out of the back so i will be off-line until tomorrow evening...I am just about managing by using my mobile phone as a wifi hotspot , good job my mobile data is unlimited
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 10:01 AM

Re: Virgin super hub

I used to have all sorts of signals problems Steve until I invested in the Devolo home network plugs, I think they cost about £89, and you can add extra plugs but you won't have any more problems. What it does is connects to your modem and introduces the signal to the house wiring, you then just plug in to any socket and the signal is the same as direct from the modem, My shed is about 50 feet down the back garden and the signal is perfect because it's going through the electric wiring, no more messing with dongles, check it out to see would it suit you.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 10:24 AM

Thanks for your reply ...I have considered that option , but it is the expense at the moment ...I am still arguing with virgin media as they have supplied me equipment which is inferior to my last set up ..they advertise the super hub as just that super ...well it aint ...i am looking at the possibility of using a spare router as a access point ...however perhaps the replacement router wihen it comes will be different fingers crossed ...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 10:30 AM

We've got the Virgin superhub Steve and it's great, we can even sit out in the garden and get at least 3 bars up to 50 feet from the hub.. we find ours excellent. Perhaps you've just got a faulty one and the replacement will sort out the problem, fingers crossed eh..
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 06:12 PM

I wish I could decide whether I'm going to stay here in this flat, then I can upgrade my router. I've got a Belkin and it's crap. Often looked at those plugs and wondered if they were good. Yes, I do read my computer mag and reckon they are, but then they are only as good as the router which is my issue.

The option I would look at would be BT Fibre optic, as they reckon they can do our flats now. In the past they weren't able to, being a multi dwelling, but now we seem to have permission from the housing association (I think, but not sure). Their letter could still be lies!

I also have Sky TV in the lounge, and Virgin Media in the bedroom, so to have the choices. All is know is I want rid of this Belkin, before I throw it out the window. Keep looking at new routers but if I change supplier I'd then get one from them. Hmm, decisions, decisions....

Hope you get sorted soon. I know what a damned nuisance it is.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

24-10-2013, 06:42 PM

well i have got my internet back on ....i asked the engineer about the problems with the range and he recommended the plug in extenders (powerline adapter)...you plug it in near the router connect it via a Ethernet cable then plug another in the other room and hopefully the wireless signal is transmitted through the house wiring and pops out the other end...
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I wish I could decide whether I'm going to stay here in this flat, then I can upgrade my router. I've got a Belkin and it's crap. Often looked at those plugs and wondered if they were good. Yes, I do read my computer mag and reckon they are, but then they are only as good as the router which is my issue.

The option I would look at would be BT Fibre optic, as they reckon they can do our flats now. In the past they weren't able to, being a multi dwelling, but now we seem to have permission from the housing association (I think, but not sure). Their letter could still be lies!

I also have Sky TV in the lounge, and Virgin Media in the bedroom, so to have the choices. All is know is I want rid of this Belkin, before I throw it out the window. Keep looking at new routers but if I change supplier I'd then get one from them. Hmm, decisions, decisions....

Hope you get sorted soon. I know what a damned nuisance it is.
I have a Belkin Jazzi and I never get any problems with it.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 09:01 PM

I think it's my BitDefender. I discussed this a while ago on this site: I think there is a conflict.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

24-10-2013, 09:07 PM

I have a very funny problem wich i will try to explain , so if anyone can answer please do ...

Superhub....30mbps wireless and Ethernet cabled..on my laptop and daughters.....
Superhub on modem only via Ethernet cable (router disabled) 30mbps

Superhub with Belkin or D link router 30 mbps via ethernet cable

and now the bit I just cant understand

Superhub with either the Belkin or D link used wireless ..daughters laptop 30mbps ....my laptop 15-17mbps ..that is a 30-50% speed drop to my computer ....so tha question is ..if I can get a perfect speed with the Superhub like my daughter ...WHY cant i get a good speed with the other routers like my daughter....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

30-10-2013, 09:53 PM

Tethered to my iPhone at the moment as just cannot get internet connection to this site, but can access FB, Twitter and emails! How weird.

Even rebooted router. I can't understand it. I think later on I will try changing to a different channel: I can see 4-6 others in this range.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top