Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 10:53 AM

Party Politics at it's worst.

Hi

The new Investigatory Powers Bill is going through Parliament.

It has been requested by the Enforcement Agencies in order to access information required to more quickly and effectively trace terrorists.

It was going to have the support of all, but now Labour are using it as a tool to get some papers released relating to an incident 40 years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35047872

What is more important, the safety of people now or something that happened 40 years ago?

I really could not be bothered if the Government does release these papers, let's face it, Labour could have released them years ago when they were in power.

What I am concerned about is holding the safety of ordinary citizens to ransom over this matter.

It stinks, and Corbyn should be ashamed of himself.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 11:15 AM

Re: Party Politics at it's worst.

Strongly disagree SF !
It's time the truth was told about this disgraceful state of affairs and the Labour Party are right to pursue the matter with whatever means they have at their disposal
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 11:16 AM

I don't understand SF .
How does the release of these papers affect this bill?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 11:37 AM

Hi

Muddy first.

Labour are threatening to withdraw support from this Bill, which they previously supported, unless the papers are published.

Malcom

I don't object to the papers being published at all, I don't object to Labour threatening to withdraw support from other Government Bills, there are loads of them to choose from.

What I do object to is withdrawing support from this Bill, designed for our security, and which needs to be whizzed through Parliament as soon as possible.

I actually agree that the papers should be published, just don't use this Bill as it is too important.

Let's face it, they could have been published at any time when Labour were in power, they weren't, MP's voted 120 to 3 last year, when we had a Coalition Government, to have them published, still not published.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 11:42 AM

So why don't they get off their arses and publish them?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-12-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
So why don't they get off their arses and publish them?
Hi

The papers should have been released in 2002, under the 30 year rule.

The then Labour Government refused to publish them in spite of numerous requests, then the Coalition refused, in spite of the vote, which, had cross party support, now the Conservatives have refused.

I have no idea why.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 12:06 PM

I hope there are firm restrictions in place in the new bill to prevent local councils abusing the powers. Under the existing RIPA, councils cynically used their powers, not to identify terrorists, but to spy on tenants.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 12:08 PM

Thank you SF for your explanation
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-12-2015, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I hope there are firm restrictions in place in the new bill to prevent local councils abusing the powers. Under the existing RIPA, councils cynically used their powers, not to identify terrorists, but to spy on tenants.

Hi

Those days are long gone,

Yes, the powers were abused, only by a few, but enough to bring the system into disrepute.

Those who did abuse it should have been prosecuted in my opinion.

I have absolutely no sympathy or regard whatsoever for the power mad, small minded people who did misuse it.

I used to sign RIPA authorisations, now you have to trot off to Court to get a signature.

No great shakes, but it does use up a fair amount of officer time.

RIPA is there to catch the real nasties, not to be misused.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 01:08 PM

That does sound wrong I would guess whoever is behind this is so wrapped up in getting justice they have lost the plot a bit with what else is going on. No good excuse but possibly a reason.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top