Join for free
poppy
lincolnshire
poppy is female  poppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2012, 03:33 PM

epilepsy

my 8yr old granddaughter has started having fits . just out of the blue . has had about 8 episodes in 6 months . can anyone tell me anything i can do to help her . thanks
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Re: epilepsy

Keep track of how long the seizure lasts. If it goes on for longer than three minutes, call 999. In the meantime, turn your child on her side to prevent her from choking on her own saliva, and wipe saliva away from her mouth to keep her airway clear. As much as you'll want to comfort her, there's nothing you can do to help the child, aside from making sure she doesn't hurt herself.

If the child has had several seizures, you might want to video the next one. This can be very helpful in determining what type of seizure she's had and what kind of medication would be most helpful.

http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/En/Res...a-Seizure.aspx
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2012, 04:19 PM

Spot on there Roxy, but I really think the child should be under medical supervision as she may need a brain scan. The seizures could well be neurological.

I don't know what's normal and what isn't, but I'd definitely make her GP aware of it and from there she might need visits to hospital to find out the cause.
poppy
lincolnshire
poppy is female  poppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2012, 04:23 PM

thank you . i think thats a good idea about the video . most have been in the middle of the night . but this morning it was about ten oclock but she had got sickness bug so i wondered if she was overtired with being up all night being sick . .
poppy
lincolnshire

20-10-2012, 04:27 PM

hi she has had all the tests at hospital . monitored for night epilepsy also but said wait and see how many she is having before they give her anything . tablets etc
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2012, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by poppy ->
hi she has had all the tests at hospital . monitored for night epilepsy also but said wait and see how many she is having before they give her anything . tablets etc
I'm not a doctor Poppy, and really it's not right for anyone to give medical advice unless medically trained. It sounds as if you've done the right thing by making sure she has tests at the hospital, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be fobbed off with "wait and see" before giving her medication but, like I said, I'm not a doctor.

I don't have any children, or grandchildren, but I know that if I witnessed the child having another fit I'd ring for an emergency ambulance and get her back into hospital for more tests.

You said she'd had eight episodes in six months and from what little I understand, epileptic episodes shouldn't be that frequent.

Here is a really good website with a helpline which might like to use.

http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/seiz...seizures-brain
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2012, 09:12 AM

It's a frightening thing Poppy for sure, but it isn't always a life sentence. One of our boys had occasional fits up until he was around twelve, but just seemed to grow out of them and hasn't had one since. We were told that this wasn't unusual....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2012, 09:25 AM

I'm with Mollie on this one Poppy darlin' - don't wait and see, but INSIST on medical intervention. Has she for instance had an MRI scan??? -if not why not??? you need to get tough with both your GP and the local hospital.
Maywalk
Leicestershire
Maywalk is female  Maywalk has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2012, 02:57 PM

I have been diagnosed with getting epilepsy since I turned 80 and I was first fitted up with a loop recorder to record any seizures I had. I have had a pacemaker put in now and the recorder taken out. I am also on tablets twice a day to help alleviate the fits. IF I do have one my hubby presses our lifeline alarm and the medics are with me within ten minutes pumping oxygen into me.If I am not rallying round they whip me off to hospital.

It sounds as though they are doing what they can for the little darling but may I suggest you get in touch with the Lions in your area because they have a message in a bottle scheme. Medical details can be kept in it ready for anyone who is called in to see the patient and saves a lot of hoo haa in emergencies. You cold also keep a written recording of the fits she has had such a dates and times in the bottle too. .

The bottle looks like this.
You can most probably find out from this site where you can get one of these containers from. Usually from pharmacists.
http://www.cranleighlions.org/message-in-a-bottle.php

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top