Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 02:48 PM

Cold radiator

Weird I have a stone cold radiator along with the pipes that feed it.

Steps to fix

1. Turned valves open on both ends
2. Checked all rads in house to make sure the return valve is open and bled rads.
3. Unable to bleed not working rad but undid the control valve sufficiently to allow water to flow and air to escape. Let it flow for a little while but didn't feel any warm water. Probably water was emptying from the radiator itself.

All other rads are nice and hot bar this one. It is like there isn't a hot water feed to it. Blasted pipes lead up to the ceiling and under the floorboards so will be a bit awkward to figure out which rad it is connected to.

Could it be lack of pressure?
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 03:20 PM

Re: Cold radiator

mkj...have you got thermostat valves at the bottom of your radiator...sometimes you have to lift the cap off and with a pair of pliers give it a turn ..it might not be fully opened.....or google ...one of my radiators is cold...
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 03:27 PM

I'm no expert MKJ but we had this last year and did all we could to try to track down the problem but, as you've said, with pipes going up into ceilings and under floorboards it's pretty daunting - so we rang a plumber.

It turned out to be the valve on that rad - it was stuck in the off position, but that doesn't really apply with yours does it, although in our case the rad before the faulty one did have an air lock too, but the upstairs ones were fine!

Never got our plumber to explain that but they're all working now so sorry I can't offer more advice.

Partial pump failure perhaps? We had a pump go last year too! stevmk2
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 03:28 PM

MkJ, check some other rads, if they are cold. then the heating is not switched on.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lavender
mkj...have you got thermostat valves at the bottom of your radiator...sometimes you have to lift the cap off and with a pair of pliers give it a turn ..it might not be fully opened.....or google ...one of my radiators is cold...
Took the cap off completely and opened it using a grips so the valves are definitely fully open.

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I'm no expert MKJ but we had this last year and did all we could to try to track down the problem but, as you've said, with pipes going up into ceilings and under floorboards it's pretty daunting - so we rang a plumber.

It turned out to be the valve on that rad - it was stuck in the off position, but that doesn't really apply with yours does it, although in our case the rad before the faulty one did have an air lock too, but the upstairs ones were fine!

Never got our plumber to explain that but they're all working now so sorry I can't offer more advice.

Partial pump failure perhaps? We had a pump go last year too! stevmk2
Yes it does sound like my own problem. Could be a combination of air in the rad before it and maybe a stuck valve.

Originally Posted by spitfire
MkJ, check some other rads, if they are cold. then the heating is not switched on.
Note stevmk2 that this is a 'wumish' kind of reply . I think I am safe in saying Spitfire has 'wumish' tendencies .

Course the bleep bleep bleep heating is on .

Oh well. Will mess around a little more but looks like a plumber will have to be called eventually.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 03:38 PM

Lift the cap off the thermostatic valve (if you have them), then give the pin inside a sharp tap with something - that should solve it. A plumber showed us how to do this when we had the same problem.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

23-11-2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stella H ->
Lift the cap off the thermostatic valve (if you have them), then give the pin inside a sharp tap with something - that should solve it. A plumber showed us how to do this when we had the same problem.
Well these are old rads and don't have such a thing as a thermostat but I thought maybe the pin thing must still be there so I attempted to dismantle the valve. Well I couldn't see any pin and when I undid the lower of 2 nuts water started spouting out so I am at a loss to where the pin could be? Maybe older valves don't have a pin at all?
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 03:47 PM

Oh sorry MKJ, not sure about the older rads - thought you may have thermostatic valves. Hope you get it sorted.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Well these are old rads and don't have such a thing as a thermostat but I thought maybe the pin thing must still be there so I attempted to dismantle the valve. Well I couldn't see any pin and when I undid the lower of 2 nuts water started spouting out so I am at a loss to where the pin could be? Maybe older valves don't have a pin at all?
Hot or cold spout?.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 05:14 PM

Try bleeding all your radiators in turn, starting with the one nearest the boiler.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top