Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 01:14 PM

Fly Tipping .....

There was a lot of discussion on the radio today on this subject.
I like to be informed so I ask you, why is it such a palava to dump old goods these days. It makes sense to me, that the restrictions imposed would cause major problems for people - which is what has happened, fly tipping.
Even when you go to the tip, there is height restrictions for cars entering, so no vans. But, if you have a settee or freezer, you need a van !
Why did they not charge certain customers, instead of these silly restrictions, that make life again so irritating
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 01:33 PM

Re: Fly Tipping .....

Its a huge problem here in Ireland as there are no free tips and apart from some recycling you have to pay to get rid of anything. Generally done by weight, too, which explains why the previous owner of this house left huge amounts of old furniture and appliances in the garage when I moved in...Not sure what restrictions have been put in place recently in UK, but I'm still sorely tempted to bring stuff over in the car to get rid of it for free there... But no, I won't be so bold...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 02:04 PM

It must be costing the Councils a fortune, tracking fly tippers and then, having to remove the stuff dumped !
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 03:31 PM

Out council will collect bulky items, but there is a limit of three items a year.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

24-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Yes - a couple of councils do that, they should 'all' do it ! They have restricted access - so come and get it then !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 03:38 PM

Nothing will be collected here but you can dispose of it if you can get it to the tip or hire a skip (which the tip will charge to tip your stuff there as the skip company is a business). They tried to charge households to tip but fly tipping became a serious problem so they had to drop that.

I guess it could be an opening for some young entrepreneur with a van - offer to collect stuff at less than the skip companies charge.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

24-10-2013, 03:41 PM

Thats what we have to do, hire someone with a van ...The van has to be small though.
Fly tipping is a serious problem here also, hasn't changed anything tho' - restrictions still apply ....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 03:46 PM

Do you remember that, back in the good old days, if you bought a new fridge, suite, bed, whatever, the delivery people would take away the old thing you were replacing. Maybe that should start again.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

24-10-2013, 03:48 PM

Some do that at £25 - then, some do not
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 04:23 PM

Here we have tips which you are encouraged to take your own rubbish although depending on the individaul council men some will come with the village pickup truck and take yours if you cant to the tip.
At the tip there is 2 men working away seperating wood from metal from plastic and any other recyclable goods. they also put to one side reusable things like sofa's or house hold good that can still be used and it is all sold on if you need a bit of 2by 2 you can pick a piece up for free as my neighbour says more goes out than goes in most days ... I think its a great system.
Its all for free

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top