Join for free
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 02:21 PM

Water

We went for lunch to a lovely hotel in Culross yesterday. Minute we got in, the waitress brought a jug of iced water to the table. We didn't have to ask for it, like in many pubs/hotels. I liked New York for that. They don't ask you if you want a jug of water - they just give you it. A lovely touch I think. I mean, come on, it's water for goodness sake. That gets a thumbs up in my book. They just don't expect to give you what they want you to pay for.

Yes, some people only like bottled water. We have lovely water here so it's a waste not to drink it
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 03:51 PM

Re: Water

A bit different to Madeira Myra, the first time we went there we were going to restaurants, ordering our meal and the waiter would come along with a dish of olives. Very nice, we thought, until we got the bill and they had charged us for something we hadn't ordered. We soon learned to tell them to take them away.....cheek !
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 04:56 PM

The only time i had a jug of water with a meal was when i went to an Indian Restaurant. Some of them would give you a hot flannel to wipe your hands on too..
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 04:57 PM

I remember being charged for breadsticks that hadn't been ordered. Just placed on the table...ooh, you think, I'll have a little nibble while waiting for the meal. And of course they then charge you for them.

As for the jug of water, I welcome that, definitely.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 05:31 PM

I think I'm right in saying that any pub/restaurant selling alcohol has to offer water without charge.

We've also been caught out with being charged for nibbles brought to the table before a meal, often happens abroad.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 10:45 AM

What a cheek charging for nibbles you hadn't asked for! They're all there and round the corner.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top