Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Steve Davis
New Member!
Cambs, UK
Steve Davis is male 

17-03-2021, 11:05 AM

Eating without teeth - pre dentures

I have had all of my bottom teeth removed due to shrinking gums, I now have 6 weeks to wait until I am fitted for dentures. Does anyone have any advice for eating? I've had Weetabix but can't even chew scrambled eggs and I've read that if I don't chew, my body won't digest the food? I'm only 57 but feel very old this morning 😞
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 11:11 AM

Re: Eating without teeth - pre dentures

Have you got a blender? Try making smoothies - either veggie ones or fruit ones. Your body will digest the food ok. All your teeth do is chop it up and make it easy for your body to digest. The blender does that hard work for you, so don't worry about that.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Davis ->
I have had all of my bottom teeth removed due to shrinking gums, I now have 6 weeks to wait until I am fitted for dentures. Does anyone have any advice for eating? I've had Weetabix but can't even chew scrambled eggs and I've read that if I don't chew, my body won't digest the food? I'm only 57 but feel very old this morning 😞

Sorry to hear that Steve. Here's me feeling a bit sorry for myself because I had one molar removed last week. I am around about the same age as you, so I can imagine that it must be a big shock. Just think how nice your new teeth will look when it's all done though.

I had no idea you had to wait six weeks in between, I wonder why that is? Do they leave all the tooth sockets open or do they cover them in some way? What about jelly? The coldness might help with the pain too.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 11:18 AM

Puree food. Most things can go into a blender.
Steve Davis
New Member!
Cambs, UK
Steve Davis is male 

17-03-2021, 11:27 AM

Thanks Longdogs, I have to wait for the gums to finish shrinking so that the dentures fit.
I will be using a blender but the google on my shoulder says that the digestive process needs me to chew to trigger something in my stomach?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Davis ->
Thanks Longdogs, I have to wait for the gums to finish shrinking so that the dentures fit.
I will be using a blender but the google on my shoulder says that the digestive process needs me to chew to trigger something in my stomach?
Your body has been digesting food before google was ever invented. How do you think people with tubes in their stomach, or throat manage? You'll be fine.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 12:11 PM

Contact your dentist might be advisable, if you are in pain.

Chewing gum helps produce saliva but guess that is not an option.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Contact your dentist might be advisable, if you are in pain.

Chewing gum helps produce saliva but guess that is not an option.

That's what I thought too, Cinders.

Steve, surely your dentist has given you some advice? He surely hasn't just taken your teeth out and sent you home with no help and advice?
You poor devil.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 12:55 PM

Oh poor you . I do remember my neighbour had to wait a while before his denture fitting , hope you can get some guidance from the good folk on here . Best wishes
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 01:01 PM

Hello Steve you could try Complan for a few days ...
https://www.boots.com/sitesearch?searchTerm=Complan

...and of course food that needs no chewing like soup/porridge ect.

I've read that if I don't chew, my body won't digest the food?
Some people never eat food or chew, they are fed through a tube into the stomach.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top