Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Dave
New Member!
West Wales
Dave is male 

05-07-2012, 10:25 AM

Why do they do it?

I have been a member of a number of forums over the years, as both organiser and participant, I have noticed more and more recently that some are intent on causing mischief. They may perhaps make a sarcastic comment say in a thread, someone else taking part in that thread, has a go back and before you know it all hell is let loose. I have witnessed many good threads and on occasions actual Forums collapse thanks to these people. I am NOT talking Trolls here, but just the mischief makers, who delight in making the bullet, then sitting back rubbing their hands as they see what trouble their silly comment can make. The standard retort when anyone says anything is JUST IGNORE THEM, but it is not that easy to do is it?, I have only been here a day or so and have noticed a couple already.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2012, 11:05 AM

Re: Why do they do it?

You can add members to your ignore list Dave and then you won't see their posts at all. I have done that with a couple of members who just irritate me and so its better I don't see their posts. I may be adding a third as well
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2012, 11:19 AM

Hi Dave 'it takes all sorts as they say 'and that applies to forms too . We can't like or agree with everyone we meet and the best course of action is to ignore anyone who really annoys you though it isn't always easy.

Most forums do occasionally get real mischief makers . Why do they do it, boredom/lack of attention/feeling unhappy and not liking to see others happy, a whole host of reasons I would guess. Some come from other sites with a previous history of disliking someone.
Dave
New Member!
West Wales
Dave is male 

05-07-2012, 11:19 AM

I can understand why some do this Dog Lover, I prefer to either totally ignore them, or at best let others see how silly these people are, they dont worry me in the least, I will admit they do tend to "get up my nose" though
Dave
New Member!
West Wales
Dave is male 

05-07-2012, 11:21 AM

You are correct Meg, as I said I have been on quite a few Forums, and you see the same names appear time and again.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2012, 03:02 PM

My OH set up a really interesting forum a few years ago, but he shut it down because a couple of individuals were constantly on the attack and other members gave up.

It's easy to be confrontational at a distance, especially when one is pretty much anonymous. Who knows what the motivation is? Bullying to feel important, to compensate for something lacking or insecurity in real life?
dollie
west sussex
dollie is female  dollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2012, 03:50 PM

it is hard not to bite back even when you know its all wasted time and energy and the best way is to block/ignore people like that ....
Viscount
SE UK
Viscount is male 

05-07-2012, 03:52 PM

I'll ignore you Dave.....LOL
I KNOW that will make you happy!
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

08-07-2012, 10:51 AM

You always have to look on the oher side of the coin though. There are those on forums that just sit there and just read, they forget the topic , forget the way the thread is heading, usually off course, ( most threads do), they don't think before they reply and just fire off a tirade.

If someone calls someone else ---Silly --or --- that was a stupid remark ---- you don't know what your'e talking about --- etc etc etc , you have to realise they are NOT SAYING you, personally, are any of the above just that they think your thought process is, which is a totally different thing to what those would call ---- personal abuse ----.

If i said , for example ----- FRED, ( if there's a Fred reading this i am just using a name) --- you are stupid ---or--- you are a Nazi --- or some other libelous remark then that WOULD be a personal attack and rightly stopped. But if i said ---- Fred, sorry I think your'e wrong, then that isn't, that is just saying simply ----I don'r agree with you.

Then of course there are sad sour minded lot that are just venting their spleen because they have neither the intelligence or the ability to argue a rational point, but thats another story.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2012, 11:00 AM

I have quite a long list on 'Ignore' over on Dogsey, sometimes at the suggestion of others I might take someone of the list but that is only rarely

So far I only have one or two on 'ignore' here

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top