Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 03:20 PM

Growbags

I haven't got much of a garden - we had it made low maintenance - it's all gravel and container flower/shrub pots now.
The thing is - I'd like to have a go at growing something edible from seed - maybe lettuce & cauliflower.
Do you think these would grow ok in a growbag? I've never used one before.

Any help/tips on growing veg in containers gratefully received.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 03:24 PM

Re: Growbags

salad in a grow bag is fine-cauliflower-forget it.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 04:09 PM

Try some bush tomatoes if you have a sunny but sheltered spot for it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 04:22 PM

Cauliflower won't do well, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, spring onions will do fine.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 04:49 PM

Brassicas need space, Carol. What about cheap plastic trugs, filling them high with compost?

I can talk...I have access to all the compost and manure I could possibly want.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I haven't got much of a garden - we had it made low maintenance - it's all gravel and container flower/shrub pots now.
The thing is - I'd like to have a go at growing something edible from seed - maybe lettuce & cauliflower.
Salad Leaf / Lettuce, Peppers, Spring Onions, Radishes (!) and Tomatoes can all easily be grown by amateurs in containers carol - forget growbags as they aren't really deep enough and tend to dry out quickly in my opinion.

We grew all our tomatoes from seed in pots as usual last years - that doesn't take up much room at all and we grew Salad Leaf plus Lettuces like Lollo Rosso in plastic troughs too plus Spring onions, although our crop last year of Spring Onions were a bit of a failure but that's unusual.

We've even grown Ruby Chard and Pak Choy for salads - delicious but then we live on salads most of the summer! stevmk2
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 05:28 PM

Thanks everybody - I'll stick to salad then - but not tomatoes - I don't like tomatoes.
I was wondering about strawberries. I saw a strawberry growing kit in Tesco's ... All it was, was a bucket & a packet of seeds and some compost. I thought to myself 'If they can be grown in a little bucket - they ought to do ok in a growbag'
Do you know if they're hard to grow?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 05:35 PM

Thanks everybody - I'll stick to salad then - but not tomatoes - I don't like tomatoes.
I was wondering about strawberries. I saw a strawberry growing kit in Tesco's ... All it was, was a bucket & a packet of seeds and some compost. I thought to myself 'If they can be grown in a little bucket - they ought to do ok in a growbag'
Do you know if they're hard to grow?
Easy-peasy carol!

They usually produce loads of shoots you can peg-down to give you more plants.

We didn't do well last year but normally we do OK with two strawberry planters we've had for years.

We've had to protect our a bit though as wood mice love strawberries and they kept eating ours!. stevmk2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 07:45 PM

I bought a couple of strawberry plants in a £ shop, watered them religiously for weeks until my friend declared 'they're not going to grow!' They didn't even show a trace of green shoot, so she gave me a couple of mature ones.

Personally I would buy the latter method in future, with strawberries.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 07:51 PM

Carole you can grow more in large deep pots because there is room for the roots to grow long.

I have grown runner beans, tomatoes, salad in large plastic pots from B & Q

Growbags are ok for shallow rooted salad stuff.
I grow strawberries in plastic troughs from B&Q

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top