Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 06:40 PM

Sentencing Rules.

Hi

A truck driver was on his phone, not just a quick glanve, but on it for a kilometre.

He was travelling at speed and caused an horrendous crash. killing four people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37823457

He has been sentenced to only 10 years.

I think this is so, so, wrong.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 06:45 PM

Re: Sentencing Rules.

I suppose its down to intent.
Yes he was stupid, yes he's wrecked lives and I'm sure he'll live with the guilt for the rest of his life.

Its a tough call, IMHO.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 06:50 PM

You may find this hard to believe but I was approached to train for the bench. Me? Never a flog and hang person but drink and driving?-50 lashes and it`s cold so be sure to warm the back
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
He has been sentenced to only 10 years.
And be out in 5 even less if he cooperates by agreeing to attend courses on whatever the prison sociologists ask him to attend

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I'm sure he'll live with the guilt for the rest of his life.
Aren't you forgetting he's a two legged human and he has the ability to 'blank' this from his mind, these humans are the only creatures who can do this which explains how they've become the planets dominate species.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 07:00 PM

I know someone who was in the queue of cars behind this horrendous accident, it has had a profound effect on her .

I don't know what the answer is or how you make people take heed of the warnings.
I doubt one person getting a prison sentence whatever the length will make much difference to the arrogant people who think they will get away with driving as they wish and many of course do get away with it.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
And be out in 5 even less if he cooperates by agreeing to attend courses on whatever the prison sociologists ask him to attend

Nope, he will serve a minimum of 5 years.

Aren't you forgetting he's a two legged human and he has the ability to 'blank' this from his mind, these humans are the only creatures who can do this which explains how they've become the planets dominate species.
That is a ridiculous statement.....just because we have that ability doesn't mean we do or want or can ignore or forget.

If that were the case we'd have no sufferers of PTSD.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 07:04 PM

Appalling sentence! I'm just watching this on the news. He deserves at least twice that term of imprisonment.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 02:59 AM

Nobody here has ever fiddled with a car radio, used a phone, had an argument or a bite to eat, been distracted by kids - or pets - whilst driving.
Interesting.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Nobody here has ever fiddled with a car radio, used a phone, had an argument or a bite to eat, been distracted by kids - or pets - whilst driving.
Interesting.

Hi

Yes, of course I have and I would be absolutely distraught if I had injured or killed anyone.

This case is very different, he had been warned and it was not a momentary distraction, he was not watching the road for a kilometre, searching for music on his phone.

That is why I think the sentence in this instance is wrong.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 11:17 AM

It said on the news that he hadn't looked properly at the road for at least 45 seconds. At speed, you can travel a long way in those few seconds.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top