Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 07:53 AM

Mr..Mrs..Ms...It ?

Norrie's solicitor, Emily Christie, says the ruling has wider ramifications for gender identification in Australia. "This is the first time that we've had any court of law in Australia saying that sex could potentially mean something other than male or female," she said. etc etc" ABCA Sydney court ruling which allows a person to be registered as gender-neutral could potentially have legal implications around Australia.

In the first case of its kind in Australia, the New South Wales Court of Appeal yesterday ruled that a person does not have to be registered as male or female.

Norrie, who goes by only one name and was born as a male, underwent sexual reassignment surgery in 1989.

Three years ago the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages issued a certificate showing Norrie's sex as not specified.

But the certificate was revoked in 2010 in a move backed by the Administrative Decisions Tribunal, finding a gender must be specified.

Norrie appealed against the decision, which was upheld yesterday.

The matter is being sent back to the tribunal to decide on a gender-neutral designation.

Norrie's solicitor, Emily Christie, says the ruling has wider ramifications for gender identification in Australia.

"This is the first time that we've had any court of law in Australia saying that sex could potentially mean something other than male or female," she said.

"We're hoping that this decision will then be taken on in a broader context both for courts of law - and also for government agencies."

Ms Christie says the decision is incredibly important.

"It means that they're recognised not only in births, deaths and marriages, but it has flow-on effects to all other legislation and all legal interactions in New South Wales and potentially around Australia."

The News South Wales Government is currently assessing the implications of the successful appeal.

A spokesman for Attorney-General Greg Smith says the Government is getting advice on the ruling.

Norrie's solicitor, Emily Christie, says the ruling has wider ramifications for gender identification in Australia.
"This is the first time that we've had any court of law in Australia saying that sex could potentially mean something other than male or female," she said. etc etc" ABC
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 07:56 AM

Re: Mr..Mrs..Ms...It ?

Sorry, link doesn't work
maggis
Adelaide South Australia

01-06-2013, 08:03 AM

So if a non gender marries a non gender what gender will their kids belong to?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 08:59 AM

Every thing is converging, the goal posts can no longer be moved because the "Goals" have been removed.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 09:13 AM

That's very interesting, I have been involved for many years with people born with both male and female body parts, the parents are almost bullied into choosing a sex very quickly and it has repercussions for these people all their lives. If they could be assigned gender neutral status they could wait until they know how they feel (usually late teen/early adult) to make their own decision and choice.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 09:39 AM

Some thinking OUTSIDE the box required here.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 02:08 PM

Don't have to think outside any box, if we're all equal why should you have a label which defines gender or marital status?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 02:41 PM

I agree about gender but marital status I quite like knowing people know I am married.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 02:46 PM

I am with you Julie, nothing wrong with that at all.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 02:49 PM

This isn't making sense to me - if a male has gender reassignment, doesn't that, by definition, mean that his surgery has now made him female? I'm assuming he presents himself now as female?

It would have been nice to have a genderless society, it did nothing but cause divisions anyway and all the downsides that that entailed. I don't know how we'd handle the notion of no female/male tags and I suppose there's some reason why it's important.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top