Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 12:54 AM

Communication

I just read this little paragraph and thought how true it was.

"Sometimes it's so difficult to choose the right words in our dealings with others. Communication is key to all relationships we have in life, whether friendships, romance or business, yet still many of us struggle with its most fundamental elements as we fail to really understand how to effectively present our true selves".

How important is communication to you?
Are a good communicator do you think?
caj3
West Midlands, UK
caj3 is female  caj3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 01:23 AM

Re: Communication

Morning Mups.
Interesting post.
I believe communicating with people is difficult. Caution, is required because it seems easy these days to cause unintentional offence.

I have joined the forum to update my communication skills as they are getting rusty because I don't get out and about like I used to.

Do you think you are a good communicator, Mups?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 09:02 AM

I am very obviously not a good communicator, always thought I was OK but seems here and on dogsey I am not
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 09:59 AM

Julie I think you communicate and put your point across very well on this forum.

It is more difficult with the written word to have a discussion as you have to keep it concise and to the point whereas verbally you have the opportunity to inject your personality into the conversation.

With the forum I always worry that others might find my input boring so I often don't contribute unless I really want to put my twopenneth in.

I also think Mups is a good communicator.

Hope I have communicated that ok
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 10:34 AM

Thank you and yes you are communicating excellently !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
Julie I think you communicate and put your point across very well on this forum.

It is more difficult with the written word to have a discussion as you have to keep it concise and to the point whereas verbally you have the opportunity to inject your personality into the conversation.

With the forum I always worry that others might find my input boring so I often don't contribute unless I really want to put my twopenneth in.

I also think Mups is a good communicator.

Hope I have communicated that ok

Oh thanks Myrtle, that's a nice start to my day.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-01-2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I am very obviously not a good communicator, always thought I was OK but seems here and on dogsey I am not

Well I've always managed to understand you perfectly Julie, and I think you talk a lot of sense, so don't worry about your skills at all.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 10:59 AM

Communication is very important, especially in a marriage.
Unfortunately some, just wont listen - very frustrating - thank goodness - me an Hubs are fine
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-01-2014, 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=caj3;400752]Morning Mups.
Interesting post.
I believe communicating with people is difficult. Caution, is required because it seems easy these days to cause unintentional offence.

I have joined the forum to update my communication skills as they are getting rusty because I don't get out and about like I used to.

Do you think you are a good communicator, Mups?[/QUOTE]

Well Ca3, I suppose it depends to a certain extent what we are talking about at the time? If it is a subject I am familiar with I could rattle on all day, but something I know very little about I would struggle. Sometimes I have the thoughts in my head but it just comes out all wrong!
I also find it depends on who I am talking to. I do believe we are on a better wavelength with some folks than others.
On a forum words can sometimes be misleading because the other person can't see any body language, so occasionally offence is taken when it is not meant.
Munchkin
Scotland
Munchkin is male  Munchkin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 11:12 AM

The old saying of "It's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it" is simple enough face to face, but as has been said, on a Forum it is difficult, the use of the Smilies at times helps, But I have seen many times seemingly silly inane comments being totally taken the wrong way by a reader, yet I found them innocuous.
I Am Admin on other forums and always say to anyone joining who is new to Forum Chat,
Write out your reply, post etc, stop, breath deeply, and read it again , then think to yourself will others understand what I am trying to say if yes? then click send.
Okay we all at times think something is OTT, but is that what the OP meant?
Others intentionally I fear make posts in the HOPE of causing controversy, if they succeed, then obviously their communication skills are working.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top