Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 10:52 AM

Mash

What is the point of mash, i cant see the point of beating the bejeezus out a nice vegetable until its a pile of mush, please feel free to enlighten me
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 11:00 AM

Re: Mash

I make my mash with onion and butter added then I make potato cakes with any left over plus flour and a little added S&P....delicious !
That's the point !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
What is the point of mash, i cant see the point of beating the bejeezus out a nice vegetable until its a pile of mush, please feel free to enlighten me

Boil/steam potatoes (or sweet potatoes)/Parsnips/swede/celeriac. When cooked, place in a bowl, add butter and mash. These make a delightful base for whatever the main (meat) course is to be.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 11:23 AM

Love mash particularly potato and carrot. It tastes much nicer than plain boiled, for me that is the reason.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 11:39 AM

I suppose im this way because my mother boiled the living daylights out of all the veg, it was tasteless and without texture. It made me averse to vegetables for so long. As i taught myself to cook i slowly learned to like veg again, from what i see you all seem to try too reintroduce flavor from adding something extra to mash.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 12:06 PM

For mash - get smash........
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 12:09 PM

I think yesterday`s mash was close, spuds boiled until soft and then mashed with butter and my own mix of home ground black salt,white salt and black pepper.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 12:17 PM

I sometimes add a spoonful of grainy mustard for a different flavour.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
So how do you ingest your potatoes then? Do you have them surgically implanted or intravenously injected?

Or do you put them in your mouth and chew the bejeezus out of them with your teeth?!

Hmmm Quelle est la différence?

Mash spuds are one of the supreme comfort foods provided they are made correctly. There are loads of ways to make them and lots of ways to add interesting flavours.

Personally I like to fry off tiny pieces of chorizo and then mash the spuds into that same pan so all the lovely chorizo oils infuse the spuds. Chorizo mash is a winner imo.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

11-04-2016, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
So how do you ingest your potatoes then? Do you have them surgically implanted or intravenously injected?

Or do you put them in your mouth and chew the bejeezus out of them with your teeth?!

Hmmm Quelle est la différence?

Mash spuds are one of the supreme comfort foods provided they are made correctly. There are loads of ways to make them and lots of ways to add interesting flavours.

Personally I like to fry off tiny pieces of chorizo and then mash the spuds into that same pan so all the lovely chorizo oils infuse the spuds. Chorizo mash is a winner imo.
Easily answered i hate potatoes, dont eat them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top