Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2017, 07:52 PM

Re: Disable Windows 10 Updates

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Thank you Ted - I'll give it a go. I've got a back up stick done and I've only had this new laptop a couple of weeks. If it goes wrong I'll take it back to the shop.
Good!

Bear in mind that laptops usually have a "recovery partition" hidden away on their hard drive.

If you have problems this little package puts the laptop back to what it was when it left the shop.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 10:34 AM

No apologies, for bringing this post back, as the news, today, about the NHS Hacking, has some words about how being up to date (updates) might have prevented it all.

1) Microsoft has said that it had provided free protective updates, in March, (one of the big updates) - likely this would have been only to those systems still being supported/updated by Microsoft.

2)"Cyber Experts" (whoever they are?) have said that "the health service appeared susceptible to attack because many trusts were using obsolete systems, while others have failed to apply recent security updates which would have protected them"

3) This week "it was suggested" that 90 percent of NHS Trusts in the UK were still using Windows XP (16 years old and unsupported)

4) Others, "using newer systems" may have failed to apply recent security updates - which would have protected them.

So, MS is defending itself by telling us that the protection was there, why didn't we use it?

Interesting question - are you protected?

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 11:26 AM

I think our home computers won't be targeted as much as the organisations that we're reading about in the News at the moment. It could therefore be argued that updates for our home computers can be skipped.

However, I don't agree with this. I read around security forums quite a bit where members live and breathe security matters. The opinion of most is that updates should be installed. I'm inclined to side with them and install all updates. Always have and always will.

People must put faith in their own research and preferred advisers I suppose.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

13-05-2017, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I think our home computers won't be targeted as much as the organisations that we're reading about in the News at the moment. It could therefore be argued that updates for our home computers can be skipped.

However, I don't agree with this. I read around security forums quite a bit where members live and breathe security matters. The opinion of most is that updates should be installed. I'm inclined to side with them and install all updates. Always have and always will.

People must put faith in their own research and preferred advisers I suppose.
Hi Mark!

It becomes a lot more relevant if the Hackers have access to all the names & maybe email addresses of those who use the NHS.

I suspect we might see an increase in phishing emails - with attachments.

WE SHOULD NEVER OPEN ATTACHMENTS -(even if we think we know the sender!)!

Better safe than sorry.

Footnote: I hear that malwarebytes are only supplying protection with the "paid for" version.

I guess that had to come, sooner or later

Means that the free version is not giving protection.

Others might be doing the same.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 12:03 PM

The only thing about MBAM running in realtime (as the paid version does) is that it takes a fair old chunk of memory for a security program, so I tend not to run it in realtime.

I've lost faith in AV programs quite a bit too (Windows Defender is disabled in Group Policy) and am relying on HitmanPro.Alert 3 for protection. This is an anti-exploit program, rather than an AV one. It's a different approach to the traditional AV protection but one that I think is probably better.

Nonetheless, I still run on-demand scans with MBAM, AdwCleaner and the on-demand (only) AV scanner that comes with HitmanPro.Alert3 but they never find anything.

Better get back to the Windows Updates again since this is what the thread is about. My ways are set in this. I do them.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
So, MS is defending itself by telling us that the protection was there, why didn't we use it?
All BS imo

Of course MS will say that. They want people on W10 and to take all their controlling updates. As usual the "Campaign of Fear" tactic is being used.

NHS trusts are wide and varied and there are plenty of disgruntled people in the NHS and in IT companies. It would be easy for any hacker to convince someone on the inside to load up a virus, Trojan, malware etc.

Yep, Win XP is old but the thing is you can only hack a system if you have access to it. So how did hackers actually get onto any NHS network without a network account to then be able to exploit weaknesses?

The actually story here is not being told.

The reason is obvious. With an incident like this they HAVE to convince the public that their data is secure and safe.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 12:11 PM

Buy a Mac! Simples
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Buy a Mac! Simples
Not necessarily:

Apple issues security patches for … just about everything

24 JAN 2017

Examples:

Macs and MacBooks haven’t escaped the wave of security patches, with users encouraged to update to macOS Sierra 10.12.3 to protect against a variety of vulnerabilities.
The security holes addresses in macOS Sierra 10.12.13 include “multiple issues” in PHP, and a method by which an attacker may be able to exploit a weakness in Apple’s Bluetooth code to execute malicious code with kernel privileges.

In addition, the new version of macOS Sierra is said to fix a vulnerability in Help Viewer which – if left unpatched – could allow a malicious attacker to plant boobytrapped content on a webpage that would result in arbitrary code execution.

iPhones and iPads, for instance, now have access to new version of the iOS operating system – version 10.2.1. In a support knowledgebase article, Apple shares details of a host of vulnerabilities that iOS 10.2.1 reportedly fixes, including a flaw that allowed devices to be automatically unlocked even when users were not wearing a linked Apple Watch.

Updating to iOS 10.2.1 is said to fix two very serious remote code execution flaws that Google vulnerability researchers uncovered in Apple’s code. Such vulnerabilities potentially, if left unpatched, could be abused by criminal hackers eager to install malware onto targeted devices.
https://www.welivesecurity.com/2017/...st-everything/
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 01:11 PM

I don't have to buy anti virus software, or all the other anti everything that Windows requires though.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

13-05-2017, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
All BS imo

NHS trusts are wide and varied and there are plenty of disgruntled people in the NHS and in IT companies. It would be easy for any hacker to convince someone on the inside to load up a virus, Trojan, malware etc.

Perhaps that's a good reason to install the security updates?

Yep, Win XP is old but the thing is you can only hack a system if you have access to it. So how did hackers actually get onto any NHS network without a network account to then be able to exploit weaknesses?

You think employees maybe don't ever go on line and do a bit of shopping, play a couple of games, etc?
The actually story here is not being told.

The reason is obvious. With an incident like this they HAVE to convince the public that their data is secure and safe.

They need keep us convinced that they are doing all they can by keeping up to date with the latest hacks and, by providing security updates which help with prevention.
My bold!

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top