Join for free
Page 77 of 370 « First < 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 127 177 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 05:50 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

We are all looking forward to another Fox vacation (holiday) report, hopefully here rather than the evening news! It's such a treat to run in a different location, challenging the mind and body. Send pictures, be sure to pack the Gorilla Tape...and if you run too far or too long, I am sure a flower shop is just around the corner.

So right on the reminder that this life is no rehearsal for the next. While we haven't an inkling about the whats and ifs of life beyond this, we are most surely alive right now. Running gives one a continuous cycle of joyously breaking away from the tangible force of gravity before the split second is over, and bone, muscle, and skin crash back to Earth. It is sensorial, exhausting, and exhilarating, leaving the the runner feeling the joy and pain of immortality and mortality all at the same time.

Admittedly, running was also the only selfish treat I clung to during the years my daughter was critically ill. The nurses in the hospital afforded me (against protocol) an hour to run every day, and I attribute those miles to helping me to stay strong enough to help her persevere.

Today, that remarkably resilient young lady joined me on five miles of forested trails. Watching her lithely push onward and upward was indescribably satisfying...and before I knew it, we had reached our version of the finish line. She's alive, I'm alive and so we run...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 09:21 AM

My last bowl of porridge for a while - A full Welsh Breakfast awaits me for the next seven days - and in just less than one hour I'll be starting off on our 150 mile drive. Which is always one of the highlights for me........I guess I was just born to travel, be it on foot, bike or vehicle....

I can sympathise with your plight while nursing your poorly daughter Surfermom and what a glorious outcome for her to be running by your side. In those dark days while laying in a hospital bed following my Heart Attack, I read books about the adventures of past fell runners, and I was never in any doubt that I would soon be running in their footsteps over those cold rugged steep and wild hills.

Adios for now Mrs Fox is growing impatient.......
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 06:46 PM

OGF, is most likely scanning the Welsh countryside for tomorrow's run while the rest of us settle for familiar paths and roadways. No complaints here though! To make up for the caloric and fat intake of full breakfasts, one would have to run marathons each day. I hope he packed comfortable shoes . Ah, well, I suppose that with his regimen he has well-earned some epicurean delights... Have fun, OGF!

Thankfully, weekends come here to the U.S. too , and in anticipation of dining out this evening, I added another mile to the distance. As no good effort goes unpunished, I was caught in a torrential downpour, and then sighted by every neighbor on the block. Ah yes, soaking locks, drenched clothing, and squeaky-drenched shoes. I hope that glass of wine or rich dessert is worth it....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

18-09-2017, 03:58 AM

Summer is still hanging on tight on the gulf coast, and while it makes for cool, relaxing swimming, it does challenge the six-mile runner trudging her way in the soft sand beneath a searing sun. No complaints though, as the jeweled tones of the sea and sky against the sugar sands were visual candy to distract one from the pains of a late morning run.

Actually, I take that back. I do have complaints as the tourists, seen here along the shoreline, were making all sorts of racket with their laughing and riotous picnicking on silvery minnows, causing me to give them wide berth so as to allow them their joyful feasting. In appreciation for my lack of disturbance, they cackled out their noisy thanks and hellos as I made my way past. Room for everyone, I say!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5816.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	4010

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 09:29 AM

Those tourists had probably heard about the legend of Surfermom, and as the word had spread they had flown in to support you on your run......Catering had even been laid on making this quite a social event....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

19-09-2017, 03:10 AM

Ha, ha, OGF...I hope you noticed in my post...that those "tourists" were laughing...probably at me !

This afternoon I ran a long stretch of road near my house and to the local sportsplex where the high school junior varsity (American) football team was playing. The school staffs the game with an ambulance in the event a player is hurt, and as I ran along one particularly narrow stretch, the approaching ambulance followed me closely until the road opened up for them to pass safely.

Eventually, I caught up to it again, where it was parked for the game. As one of the paramedics exited the vehicle, I called out that my running must be awfully bad for the city to assign an ambulance to follow me everywhere.
The quick-witted young driver called back that it was hardly the case, and that I was instead, trying to put him out of work !

That said, it was hot enough for me to need medical care today - 90 F. 32.2 C. No unhappiness here, though. Somehow I feel like I have been a bit victorious when I look down at my watch, blinking through the perspiration, to check the total mileage. Since it's still hot, and I ran that far, I deserve a bit of ice cream, do I not?

Choices, choices...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

20-09-2017, 03:20 AM

Today's entry in the saga of Mother Nature's determination to finish me off started with a morning spent in the backyard. While those in the UK romantically go out to "garden", I "chop", looking something akin to Katherine Hepburn in The African Queen by the time I am through. As this place grows like a jungle, I am forever cutting back the vines, shrubs, volunteer river oaks, and myrtles that are forever trying to consume the house. I was proud of my productivity until I noticed a strange, growing, itching rash creeping up my forearm....

While it required a good amount of exertion (and a whole lot of hydrocortisone), it was not an official workout, so I drug my daughter off to exercise class. There we flung about three pound weights to disco music, while going up and down on aerobic steps. There was a fair amount of unappreciated laughing between us trying to keep up with instructor whom I'm fairly sure was an Olympian in training, but we felt vindicated when we were still breathing after an hour.

Not to rest on our laurels, if one could call survival "laurels", we rounded out the evening with a five mile run. We maneuvered a grass course that requires somewhat more concentration than I like, as I am forever sure I am about to sprain an ankle, but it was well worth it to be out in the amber cast of the setting sun.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 03:46 PM

We bought one of those large Exercise Balls for the Dog to chase round the Garden. I've just inflated it (a workout in itself) and just had a go on it, good for sit-ups etc, thinks I'll keep it for myself, sorry Dog.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

21-09-2017, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
We bought one of those large Exercise Balls for the Dog to chase round the Garden. I've just inflated it (a workout in itself) and just had a go on it, good for sit-ups etc, thinks I'll keep it for myself, sorry Dog.
Look forward to seeing a 'Lean Mean Spitty'....How about posting a photo of your ball Spitty?.....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

22-09-2017, 04:28 AM

Dog says, "Give back big ball!"

I say they are indeed pretty great props for workouts and you'll be surprised how many exercises can be done with one.

It can be tricky to learn to position them so I recommend checking out a few youtube videos.

This one is excellent for beginners:

Page 77 of 370 « First < 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 127 177 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top