Join for free
Page 17 of 21 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 08:52 AM

Re: Is America Right To Give Citizens The Right To Own Such Deadly Weapons?

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I agree with the games....they make killing look easy...of course it is, in a game. A game where you can be shot 10 times, pick up a medi kit and off you go....as good as new.

I'm sure it must make some wonder what it's like to shoot someone....and without the emotional connection of real life, it probably appears to be easy.

Can somebody quote me please....I think I'm on ignore
You ain't on ignore, you just had a superfluous moment.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 08:53 AM

Swims guns cost money and so do cartridges .
Probaby more than buying stuff from the supermarket so how does that make someone more honest ?
We can't have everyone going out taking pot shots at wildlife or sooner or later accidents will happen just as it frequently does in the US.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 09:07 AM

I am unpleasantly surprised to learn that semi automatic shotguns can be purchased legally in the UK as long as they fire cartridges that are not bigger than .22 .
I dont know much about guns although I used to skeet shoot years ago .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

When I starting shooting, it was out of necessity, we had no money, it was protein.

I also used to ferret rabbits, again for food.

Woodpigeons eat my vegetables, I eat them, I see no issue with this.

If I shoot for fun, it is targets, clay pigeon.

I eat what I kill and I think that is more honest than going to the Supermarket to buy what others have killed for me.

The only exception to the above are vermin.

I shoot foxes from time to time, but only if they are a real problem.

I also fish, taking only enough to eat.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 11:03 AM

If you go to the Supermarket and buy meat, or fish or chicken or duck and at Christmas a Goose, you have no right to complain, you are relying on others to do the killing for you.
My point isn't to complain but to state the fact that you don't need to kill more animals when someone has already killed so many for you. Many of these dead animals are thrown in the bin because not enough people eat them and their sad lives have been for nothing. So with a plentiful supply of meat, why do people in the US need to hunt? Other than for entertainment. The entertainment aspect could be subject to a licence. (isn't it already?)

Haven't we banned fishing without a licence? Don't you have to throw the fish back? How does it work these days? Even in the olden days ordinary people were not allowed to hunt everything. You could only hunt if you owned the land and gave people permission, others were poachers. But in those days you didn't have millions of dead animals to buy every day and all game would end up on the table without any waste.

We aren't even allowed to pick mushrooms in many counties, so how is hunting still legal here?
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 12:03 PM

Hi

When I starting shooting, it was out of necessity, we had no money, it was protein.

I also used to ferret rabbits, again for food.

Woodpigeons eat my vegetables, I eat them, I see no issue with this.

If I shoot for fun, it is targets, clay pigeon.

I eat what I kill and I think that is more honest than going to the Supermarket to buy what others have killed for me.

The only exception to the above are vermin.

I shoot foxes from time to time, but only if they are a real problem.

I also fish, taking only enough to eat.

Many eat salmon, farmed, from the Supermarket, kept in totally unnatural conditions, fed on dried chicken manure amongst other things.

The salmon I eat are wild and caught by me, the same with the trout.

Sea Bass are farmed now like salmon, kept in cages, those I eat are not, completely wild fish and caught by me.
You would fit in well with many American's that hunt and fish I don't hunt but I do fish and fly fish , I prefer catch and release for most species I catch,
Many here have decided there way is Right and should dictate what others should Do and how to behave. keep in mind 2 differing Countries, different laws, and rules. And opinions are like a holes we all got one.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've done a road trip right across the US so I understand how vast it is and how much of it is uninhabited. It's a beautiful country but much of it is devoid of humans. So is it encouraged in order to keep the population down to protect crops? Because in many areas where hunting is popular surely there are no crops? (forests etc). We hunted some wild animals to extinction here (bears and wolves). It seems gun ownership is often linked to hunting. So perhaps that hunting culture needs to change or gun culture will always be there.
It exists because there is a Need for it. If all the deer hunters in the U.S. quit hunting them do you realize they would Over take cities, roads, highways, farms, they are culled for a reason. and it is carefully monitored by State fish and Game officers. All deer are tagged when shot by the hunter and limits are placed on Bucks and Doe's, Trust me they aren't being hunted to extinction. Here Gun Ownership is LEGAL, what is soooo Hard to understand about that. Have you seen what a wild Boar / hog can do to a field? A crop? Your Garden? Total devastation, and there can be 10,20,30, in a pack. Say your a farmer with corn fields, you depend on that crop to Pay your bills, keep your home, provide money for your family, would you be cool with every animal that was hungry to do as they pleased with what you need for existence ? Hell no you wouldn't, you'd protect what you have invested in right? Thus Hunting Cull's what is NOT NEEDED,, a Viable healthy herd will always be maintained.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by DragonsRealm ->
It exists because there is a Need for it. If all the deer hunters in the U.S. quit hunting them do you realize they would Over take cities, roads, highways, farms, they are culled for a reason. and it is carefully monitored by State fish and Game officers. All deer are tagged when shot by the hunter and limits are placed on Bucks and Doe's, Trust me they aren't being hunted to extinction. Here Gun Ownership is LEGAL, what is soooo Hard to understand about that. Have you seen what a wild Boar / hog can do to a field? A crop? Your Garden? Total devastation, and there can be 10,20,30, in a pack. Say your a farmer with corn fields, you depend on that crop to Pay your bills, keep your home, provide money for your family, would you be cool with every animal that was hungry to do as they pleased with what you need for existence ? Hell no you wouldn't, you'd protect what you have invested in right? Thus Hunting Cull's what is NOT NEEDED,, a Viable healthy herd will always be maintained.
Ok DR thanks for the eloquent explanation.

I've looked it up and there are 30 million deer in the US at any time and they will double every two years if there's no cull. 17 million hunters.

So it seems you will never get rid of guns or hunting.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

08-10-2017, 02:49 PM

That is only because there are so few natural predators.
Because wolves and big cats have been shot by livestock farmers and thereby upset the balance of nature !
Where wolves have been reintroduced the balance has been redressed .
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 03:06 PM

Available for rent right now in Vegas...
All the guns killer could want.
Food for thought?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...hotel-killings

EXCLUSIVE: Las Vegas attack made local shooting range "busier than ever"

BUSINESS is booming at Las Vegas gun ranges where tourists can hire exactly the same deadly automatic weapons used by mass murderer Stephen Paddock.

Page 17 of 21 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top