Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 06:28 PM

Carpenters or Abba..?

...which do you prefer?

Both these artists had great production on their records. I prefer Abba to listen to but Karen Carpenter's voice was something special
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 06:32 PM

Re: Carpenters or Abba..?

I agree. Karen had an amazing voice but Abba have had so many great hits. How benny managed to write so many great lyrics in a foreign language I will never know. Of course, Abba were cringe-worthy when I was younger, along with the BeeGees but I like them now.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 06:48 PM

I never liked Karen Carpenter's voice. I found it slightly odd, cloying and peculiar. Perhaps here well reported personal problems plus suggestions of other, unreported travails, added to the disquiet she always engendered in me.
Whereas Abba were never anything less than an extremely good pop band wit the added interest that their career was really their private lives writ large. The emotion in their later songs was real.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree. Karen had an amazing voice but Abba have had so many great hits. How benny managed to write so many great lyrics in a foreign language I will never know. Of course, Abba were cringe-worthy when I was younger, along with the BeeGees but I like them now.
I like the early Bee Gees (pre 1975); I think they were one of the best bands around if you liked plaintive balladeer type music.

Songs like To Love Somebody, Words, Massachusets are timeless.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 06:51 PM

Abba by far more accomplished.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 06:54 PM

I preferred Abba too.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

14-11-2017, 06:55 PM

Carpenters were a tad saccharine sweet but Calling Occupants is actually pretty good.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I like the early Bee Gees (pre 1975); I think they were one of the best bands around if you liked plaintive balladeer type music.

Songs like To Love Somebody, Words, Massachusets are timeless.
I agree with you Ffosse, Bee Gees were my favourite too, I never tire of listening to them.

I preferred Abba to Karen Carpenter...
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

14-11-2017, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I agree with you Ffosse, Bee Gees were my favourite too, I never tire of listening to them.

I preferred Abba to Karen Carpenter...
And I'm glad I found a fellow Bee Gees fan; too many simply remember their disco phase.

I've just fired up my Bee Gees playlist on my phone.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
And I'm glad I found a fellow Bee Gees fan; too many simply remember their disco phase.

I've just fired up my Bee Gees playlist on my phone.
Check out this thread Ffosse, I'm sure you'll like it ...

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=46743

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top