Join for free
Page 347 of 1676 « First < 247 297 337 345 346 347 348 349 357 397 447 847 1347 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 04:11 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Nice poems there Spitty, unusually deep from yourself.

I once went to a cross eyed Hypnotist, I lay on the couch and he swung his pocket watch from side to side, “Look into my eyes…look into my eyes…” says he. I was under in no time. Then he said “I want to take you back to your childhood…you are going back…back…” I interrupted him and said “Sorry sir, but I can’t go back, I can only go sideways”
I was cross eyed meself for a month after that session, never again says I. The lesson there is always check out your hypnotists eyes before you let him/her do the job.

I knew most of the ‘Back rooms’ in the city when I was a young man, and as you say Gummy they are all gone now. They were always filled with smoke and people of every description, a passive smokers nightmare.
The back room in O’Donohues pub would be jam packed every weekend night, folk musicians and singers from everywhere playing solo and together, it was some job to get out for a pee I can tell ya. This was a time before everything was about money, no ‘Cover charge’ or increase in the drink prices, happy days indeed.
One night Bob Dylan appeared and he just joined in with the rest of them for about an hour, then buggered off to catch a plane to London, all very natural like. Liam Clancy often dropped in when he was in town as did Donovan, Donovan settled in Wicklow for a while, well I think it was Wicklow.
I really had a great time back then and glad i have the memories of seeing everyone pulling together to make fabulous folk music for their own pleasure as well as others, all that’s gone now sadly.

No sign of the Pug fella, is he off on another holiday?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 04:22 PM

3457 = Genesis and 3459 = Gordon Lightfoot.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Did the Hypnotist have a USP?
What a lark!

I read this post but having mislaid my spectacles read
Did hypnotist have a LISP.
If you squint at the screen USP & LISP are practically identical in appearance.

Coincidentally I posted an account of an encounter with a person with a lithp recently.
Here it is again.

I am avoiding Waitrose after a run in with the portly assistant on the delicatessen. I merely asked for thick slices of ham and she mistakenly thought I had a lisp & cut me off six thin slices of ham. I am a reasonable soul, but good ham is expensive. I handed them back to her and repeated thick slices of ham, three of . Bless her, she couldn’t get it. I took whatever she handed me.
SIX THICK slices of ham. £9.50. (it was very nice)

So cruel to give Lisp sufferers a label which they cannot articulate

Fact of the DAY

Winston Churchill had a lisp
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 07:52 PM

I nearly forgot about this thread, please forgive me.
I will have to read back from my last visit.

Walk with a lisp and talk with a limp - That might be me.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
you are bloody fussy aren't ya just
Yes, but I have never been accused of having hidden shallow.

Take a leaf out of Spittys book, wipe it first, then bask in his depths.
Robert Jnr.
UK

14-11-2017, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
If you could read my mind love
What a tale my thoughts could tell
Just like an old time movie
About a ghost from a wishing well
In a castle dark or a fortress strong
With chains upon my feet
You know that ghost is me
And I will never be set free
As long as I'm a ghost you can see
-------------
If I could read your mind love
What a tale your thoughts could tell
Just like a paperback novel
The kind the drugstore sells
When you reach the part where the heartaches come
Come the hero would be me
Heroes often fail
And you won't read that book again
Because the ending's just to hard to take
I walk away like a movie star
Who gets burned in a three way script
Enter number two, a movie queen
To play the scene of bringing all the good things out in me
But for now love let's be real
I…
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 08:36 PM

"The more pity that fools may not speak wisely what wise men do foolishly."
Robert Jnr.
UK

14-11-2017, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
"The more pity that fools may not speak wisely what wise men do foolishly."
I've been outed as a boring pompous old fart..
tis kismet
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 10:50 PM

It's just fishy, when an unknown, mussels in.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2017, 10:52 PM

I have always admired the works of the playwright Brendan Behan, sadly he was only in his forties when he died. I have read many of his writings and quotes and I heard this unwritten one from Phyllis's Uncle Dinny who worked with Behan as a council painter.
When the director of the Abbey Theatre read Behan’s first play ‘The Quare Fellow’ in 1954 he threw the manuscript on his desk saying “Where did you get this bullshite from Brendan?" Behan took it off the desk and said with a smile “I hear so much bullshite everywhere I go that I thought it was normal, so I just joined in and jotted it down”*
Reminds me of this thread, just the way we like it.

Page 347 of 1676 « First < 247 297 337 345 346 347 348 349 357 397 447 847 1347 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top