Join for free
Page 18 of 36 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 > Last »
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 02:04 PM

Re: Energy: SMART Meters

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
As the country isn't energy-ready, I reckon they will be used if power is rationed to see who is using too much of their share. Our nuclear reactors should be refreshed over the next ten - fifteen years or we will have a serious shortfall in supply.
Good point.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Good point.
Our nuclear power stations might be up and running by 2027 but don't think your electricity bills will be any cheaper after the Chinese and French (EDF) have taken their chunk from your bill....To think that at one time we led the field in Nuclear power generation.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Our nuclear power stations might be up and running by 2027 but don't think your electricity bills will be any cheaper after the Chinese and French (EDF) have taken their chunk from your bill....To think that at one time we led the field in Nuclear power generation.....
My sentiments exactly.
We also led the world in aeronautical engineering in the 1950s.

I'm afraid that all of those leads in technology have been either sold, given away or allowed to wither on the bough by no-one other than our glorious leaders. Who else?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
My sentiments exactly.
We also led the world in aeronautical engineering in the 1950s.

I'm afraid that all of those leads in technology have been either sold, given away or allowed to wither on the bough by no-one other than our glorious leaders. Who else?
Or cunningly sneaked away from us by the EU in order to make us less self sufficient JB.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Or cunningly sneaked away from us by the EU in order to make us less self sufficient JB.....
I shouldn't be at all surprised.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What I'd be interested to see is a position where some providers insist on our having a smart meter whilst others permit us to decline having one.

I think we'd see many more people changing suppliers!
I thought we could decline anyway ? I have declined electricity smart meter from Scottish Power. I dare say that if we change suppliers, it will become conditional to have a meter installed.

I will refuse a gas meter, as my boiler is under the stairs.( haven't a clue why, was there when I bought the house) and there have been reports of gas explosions , due to meters being fitted incorrectly near to the gas boilers.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-12-2017, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I thought we could decline anyway ? I have declined electricity smart meter from Scottish Power. I dare say that if we change suppliers, it will become conditional to have a meter installed.

I will refuse a gas meter, as my boiler is under the stairs.( haven't a clue why, was there when I bought the house) and there have been reports of gas explosions , due to meters being fitted incorrectly near to the gas boilers.
I hesitate to reply to your post in case this thread should be prematurely closed! Still, here goes.

Of course. We are legally entitled to decline the installation of smart meters at present, and I for one will certainly decline until the day I die, assuming I am still entitled to do so.

No, my statement was hypothetical. I should find it very interesting to see suppliers continuing to compete and watching their reaction when they have the right to demand their customers have smart meters only to see them slip away to another company that does not.

Even if they all followed the smart meter concept, I shouldn't be surprised to see some enterprising, up-coming company offering their services 'smart meter-free'.

That's the good thing about competition: it benefits the consumer.

And let's not forget that lack of competition is one reason why Communism has always failed.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 07:41 PM

Is there any disadvantage to having a smart meter?

Have you got one & are you satisfied with it?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 08:11 PM

carol, we had a very interesting thread about smart meters not long ago...

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...t=smart+meters

And I've just read it through again, and before that there was this...

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=39817

Hope this helps.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 08:52 PM

Had one put in a couple of years ago free by BG, not sure if it saves me money,never bother to check how much energy we use.Why are you against them?

Page 18 of 36 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top