Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 01:53 PM

Pet Cremation

I lost my wonderful best friend Floyd last week. He went downhill very quickly after quite a long but stable illness. He was 16+ so it was expected, heartbreaking never the less. It was like a power cut here, horrible silence and at the moment I have no incentive to get out of bed in the mornings.
I miss him so much.

Because it looks like I'm going to have to move house I had him cremated, the family are helping with costs, because the thought of burying him here and leaving him was too distressing.

I've no experience of cremation so not sure what to expect when I collect his ashes.
I asked for a cardboard tube recepticle because I'd like to decorate a box with his photo and his name and dates.

This may be an odd question but, how big a box would I need? He was a small terrier about Westie size.
I'd like to have one ready.
Has anyone else who has had pets cremated got any idea?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 02:05 PM

Re: Pet Cremation

I have had my cats cremated and the boxes are no bigger than a standard tissue box... maybe a couple of inches shorter, so maybe one a little larger for Floyd.
I am so sorry that you have lost him, but after the initial tears, it is a comfort to have them returned to you.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 02:08 PM

I'm so sorry for the loss of your pet Tess.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 02:09 PM

Oh thanks Twink, I was expecting something smaller. I've never even seen a human urn so I have no idea.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 02:11 PM

Tess, I have said elsewhere, I am so very sorry for your loss.
All us pet lovers know how crushing it is when the time comes.

I always buried my own when I could, depending on where I lived, at the farm it was no problem for example. I have a much smaller garden now, so have had the last 3 dogs I lost, cremated.

I remember being asked what sort of casket I wanted. This is because some people want to keep the ashes, so would choose a different type of casket to someone who is going to perhaps scatter the ashes, and doesn't need to keep the empty container.
I know a chap who has all highly polished wooden caskets of all of his dogs, lined up on a shelf in his living room. Each has a brass plaque on it, with the name and dates engraved on it.

Others just want to scatter the ashes on their favourite walk, or bury them under a tree or something. Everybody's wishes are different, so it is a very personal choice I feel.

Mine boys and old Pips always slept in my room with me, so I have their ashes in sealed wooden caskets (look a bit like jewellery boxes) with their names and dates on, in my bedroom still, where they would always have been in life.

As for size, no one can guess that, so personally, I would definitely wait until you get your boy back before making anything. You don't want to create something special for him, only to find it is too small (or big).
You could still get the designs worked out in your head, or on paper, but I wouldn't actually put it together till he's back.

That's my advice anyway.

P.S. I have just measured Biff's box, to give you an idea of size - he was one of my German Shepherds and a big lad.
His box is just under 8" long x 4 & half ins deep, by just under 5" high. His is a wooden casket with a brass name plaque.
Hope that helps.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Oh thanks Twink, I was expecting something smaller. I've never even seen a human urn so I have no idea.
I suspect that they only give you a sample of the ashes but they supplied the boxes for my cats and they were chunky and heavily carved, with the pets name and date of death engraved on a metal bar. They are even nice enough to keep indoors if you wish.

My sister had her cats cremated and, when she died 4 years ago, the undertaker was kind enough to put her cats boxes in her coffin with her.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

12-01-2018, 02:19 PM

Thanks Leia and Mups, I should have asked the vet really but now I'm dreading the call to go fetch him. I think I must have scared the people in the waiting room with my wailing!
I' ll get the photo picked out ready and design the writing etc. while I'm waiting. I like to make things myself so it will keep me busy.
I'm giving all Floyd's jumpers and coats I made him, except his favourite to the Street Vets, that will make me feel a bit better.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 02:23 PM

Thanks Leia and Mups, I should have asked the vet really but now I'm dreading the call to go fetch him. I think I must have scared the people in the waiting room with my wailing!
I' ll get the photo picked out ready and design the writing etc. while I'm waiting. I like to make things myself so it will keep me busy.
I'm giving all Floyd's jumpers and coats I made him, except his favourite to the Street Vets, that will make me feel a bit better.
Please don't dread collecting your boy's ashes. I found it very comforting to bring my dogs ashes home, it's where they belong. I have four caskets in my living room.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 02:30 PM

Good for you Tess, that's a lovely gesture.
I started a thread recently about the work the StreetVets do, but there didn't seem any interest when I last looked.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

12-01-2018, 02:38 PM

I've only just heard of them, apparently they have some in Bristol which is not far from me. I'll have a look at your thread.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top