Join for free
Page 8 of 24 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 09:51 PM

Re: Should smoking be banned outside?

How can some people stop smoking immediately when others cannot?

Willpower is one answer, but surely those who do smoke are not stupid enough to ignore the well documented health risks of their habit?
Do they really want to die early leaving behind their loved ones, or their children without a parent? Is it really worth it to continue smoking in such a selfish way as that?

Smokers - ask yourself...do you really have any thoughts about this, or do you not give a damn?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 09:52 PM

Passive smoking?
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/abou...assive-smoking
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->

Willpower is one answer, but surely those who do smoke are not stupid enough to ignore the well documented health risks of their habit?
Do they really want to die early leaving behind their loved ones, or their children without a parent? Is it really worth it to continue smoking in such a selfish way as that?

Smokers - ask yourself...do you really have any thoughts about this, or do you not give a damn?
Tut tut Floydy ... does the drinker worry about his liver or becoming an alcoholic? Does an obese person hesitate over chomping that next slab of food?
Does everyone else have such a perfect self-help-health regime that they will live to be a 100?

This is what I can't understand ... why smokers are somehow seen as selfish or stupid.... or a group of people with some diabolically horrendous vice or social disgrace. Why is everyone so quick to judge them?

Yes I smoke ... ..I also fart in public places if I have to, so are obnoxious from both ends.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Passive smoking?
Quite .
Besides , it's so very common .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Passive smoking?
Yes, that's all been researched and is generally accepted.

I'm not sure what your point is other than to reiterate what was hot news just prior to the smoking ban in public places.
Which is actually old news now and as circular as discussing the Brexit referendum.

That still doesn't answer my question as to why smokers are still vilified by some.
Didn't you know the new social health concern is exhaust emissions from motorists?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->

I have two friends who both have emphysema, one (my best friend) quit smoking the day she was told she had emphysema which was 18 years ago, the other chose to carry on smoking. My friend who quit immediately, whilst she has lung problems the progression of her illness is nowhere near my friend who chose to carry on smoking and she is now on oxygen for hours a day.

What I find strange is she is a very intelligent woman yet just cannot find the willpower to quit the cigs even though she knows what it is doing to her.

I used to beg her to quit because I don't want to see my friend die a painful death until one day she said "Bev, SHUTUP" I have never said another word since that day because at the end of the day it's her life, her choice, who am I to take away her choice of the life she wishes to lead. It still upsets me to know how she struggles to breathe and is in such pain, I hate to know my friend is killing herself even quicker every time she lights up.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

12-06-2018, 10:02 PM

Lion Queen, she probably got ratty with you, not because you were not right .... but probably because she knows she can't ever quit, no matter what.
Some people can't.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Tut tut Floydy ... does the drinker worry about his liver or becoming an alcoholic? Does an obese person hesitate over chomping that next slab of food?
Does everyone else have such a perfect self-help-health regime that they will live to be a 100?

This is what I can't understand ... why smokers are somehow seen as selfish or stupid.... or a group of people with some diabolically horrendous vice or social disgrace. Why is everyone to quick to judge them?

Yes I smoke ... ..I also fart in public places if I have to, so are obnoxious from both ends.
The anti-smoking fanatics get to feel morally superior to the rest of us. That is their "reward" for being busy-bodies.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 10:03 PM

Well if people want to self harm that is their business .
Just don't force it on to other innocent people.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

12-06-2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
The anti-smoking fanatics get to feel morally superior to the rest of us. That is their "reward" for being busy-bodies.
That's what I suspected but didn't like to assume ...
Nice to see you back by the way.

Page 8 of 24 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top