Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 05:45 PM

Tabletop Freezer

Bought mine 7 months ago and up to recently it hummed along with no noise I could complain about and so all was well until this week when it's developed a mind of it's own . For what reason has it developed this an annoying noise ? Plus "it " keeps switching on, is that the condenser ? What do I know ?
Today I got really fed up of it , gave a neighbour a couple of bags of Autie Bessie's Roasteds and took everything else out , no joints of meat do I have , and transferred to the top of my ordinairy fridge , the 4 star compartment that is and defrosted the freezer .
So to begin again shall I leave the setting at normal ? Or move it ? No numbers just Max , Min and Normal .
Did I overload it and it rebelled ?
Item itself hasn't been moved ,isn't near a heat source .
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 06:27 PM

Re: Tabletop Freezer

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Bought mine 7 months ago and up to recently it hummed along with no noise I could complain about and so all was well until this week when it's developed a mind of it's own . For what reason has it developed this an annoying noise ? Plus "it " keeps switching on, is that the condenser ? What do I know ?
Today I got really fed up of it , gave a neighbour a couple of bags of Autie Bessie's Roasteds and took everything else out , no joints of meat do I have , and transferred to the top of my ordinairy fridge , the 4 star compartment that is and defrosted the freezer .
So to begin again shall I leave the setting at normal ? Or move it ? No numbers just Max , Min and Normal .
Did I overload it and it rebelled ?
Item itself hasn't been moved ,isn't near a heat source .
Have you got the make and model number handy?
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 06:38 PM

Yes. Russell Hobbs Table Top Freezer RHTTFZ1
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 06:48 PM

Ta,

I can't see the back of it from the pics I looked at, but it looks like it's probably a skin condenser and evaporator. So, the only noise would be the compressor. Compressors can become a little noisier as they age.
I doubt you overloaded it.
Set the t/stat to normal and see how it goes. If you do have an actual compressor fault, just bin it - not worth repairing.
It should not be stopping and starting quickly. There should be a reasonable amount of time between the run & off cycles.
The compressor may be overheating and cutting in & out on it's klixon overload - which is trouble.

Let me know what it does once defrosted and back on.
Zuleika
North West UK

13-06-2018, 06:59 PM

Should I run it on Normal fpr a while without putting anything in it ?
I'm ready to begin .
When I first got it ,it purred along which is why I noticed its got noisier .
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

13-06-2018, 07:01 PM

Should I run it on Normal fpr a while without putting anything in it ?
I'm ready to begin .
When I first got it ,it purred along which is why I noticed its got noisier .
Yep,

Run it for a few hours empty and report back. Try and stick a thermometer inside if you have one as well.
As I said, compressors will get slightly more noisy as they get older..

Report back later.
Zuleika
North West UK

13-06-2018, 07:06 PM

Older ? It's only 7 months old !
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

13-06-2018, 07:08 PM

Older ? It's only 7 months old !
Yep,

But most of these tiny ones use cheapo Chinese compressors.
Can I assume you have 12 months warranty?
Zuleika
North West UK

14-06-2018, 12:44 PM

Tiny ? Yes I suppose some would say so but it’s ok for a couple when you have the frozen food compartment at the top of a normal fridge as well .

Yes I do have the warranty but something happened overnight after I turned the dial further up than normal and put several bags of roasties and steam fresh veg into it .
I got up to silence and since there’s only been one instance of it turning on and that was a purr compared to how it was behaving.

I think I need a new thermometer anyway just to check .
Zuleika
North West UK

14-06-2018, 05:55 PM

New thermostat tells me it’s -20 in there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top