Join for free
Page 24 of 24 « First < 14 22 23 24
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 09:53 PM

Re: Should smoking be banned outside?

How does anyone start smoking ?
I was brought up in a non smoking household none of my relatives smoked so it was never an issue at home.
I was always travel sick as a child travelling in smoky buses or worse sitting in a cinerma with smoke everywhere .
Unthinkable now thank goodness.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 09:56 PM

The top half of buses was blue and thick with the smoke. Horrible for me as a child yet I started smoking at 18. I did have a father who smoked, though, and they say that makes one more likely to start.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
How does anyone start smoking ?
I was brought up in a non smoking household none of my relatives smoked so it was never an issue at home.
I was always travel sick as a child travelling in smoky buses or worse sitting in a cinerma with smoke everywhere .
Unthinkable now thank goodness.
I was brought up in a smoker's home, both my parents smoked, in fact the majority of people smoked in those days. I'm pleased to say that both my parents eventually gave it up, so did my brother, my husband and myself in later years. None of us had any help giving up, it was all 'cold turkey'.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 10:11 PM

This will sound real odd ... my dad smoked Park Drive and gave up when he got ill. He'd suck an empty pipe. I can only ever remember him been ill. In and out of hospital. Never well.
I was adamant as a kid that I'd never smoke.
And yet ... aged 14 or 15 I tried my first fag and that was it, I was hooked.
No sense or reason as to why anyone starts. They just do and most regret it, even those who can't give up.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
The top half of buses was blue and thick with the smoke. Horrible for me as a child yet I started smoking at 18. I did have a father who smoked, though, and they say that makes one more likely to start.
Watch some of those old repeats of 'The Royal' .. a 60's hospital drama and the surgeon often has a pipe stuck in his mouth even whilst in theatre.
Makes you wonder how common that was.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 11:13 PM

My parents didn't smoke but my older brother started in his teens. My dad's friend who rented a room.with us occasionally smoked cigars. He would blow smoke rings to entertain us. In the 70s it was still very popular and considered "cool". I started in the mid 80s. Didn't really inhale properly for a few years. It was just a social thing. A prop which helped you make friends. Asking for a cigarette or a light was a great way to open a conversation with a stranger. At work it was a way to bond with others on one of many cigarette breaks. My childhood family gp also smoked.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
This will sound real odd ... my dad smoked Park Drive and gave up when he got ill. He'd suck an empty pipe. I can only ever remember him been ill. In and out of hospital. Never well.
I was adamant as a kid that I'd never smoke.
And yet ... aged 14 or 15 I tried my first fag and that was it, I was hooked.
No sense or reason as to why anyone starts. They just do and most regret it, even those who can't give up.
Ain't that the truth.

At school we were shown all the gruesome videos of tar filled lungs. We knew all about cancer. But that didn't stop us. It did make me keep giving up though. Until the next weak moment at a party etc.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 07:02 AM

It was all the "Fag Breaks" that ruined the British economy.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It was all the "Fag Breaks" that ruined the British economy.
Hey Spit.
That's a new bit of information I had never thought of before in respect of that Fag break lark.
But you are spot on actually.
This extends to all public buildings and organisations such as Councils, which is just one of the reasons our blastard Council Taxes are so high!

If they must have a fag.
They should do it in their own rastard time!
Not mine!
Council Taxpayers are paying for that Fag break.
I.E.
ME!
Rant over!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
Hey Spit.
That's a new bit of information I had never thought of before in respect of that Fag break lark.
But you are spot on actually.
This extends to all public buildings and organisations such as Councils, which is just one of the reasons our blastard Council Taxes are so high!

If they must have a fag.
They should do it in their own rastard time!
Not mine!
Council Taxpayers are paying for that Fag break.
I.E.
ME!
Rant over!

So let's all have a coffee break instead - all on Kenny

Page 24 of 24 « First < 14 22 23 24

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top