Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 03:06 PM

Re: MRI scan

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
MRI scans a re a doddle, even managed to doze off in one - the noise is somewhat soporific.
Thanks UJ, I did have one some 15 years ago, I was just wondering if the technology had moved on since those days. Cheers
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
MRI scans a re a doddle, even managed to doze off in one - the noise is somewhat soporific.
You have to remember that not everyone reacts the same to MRI's. Neither Mr Mags or I have had one yet but if we were to, I feel sure I would be fine having one but I know my husband would most likely react totally different about it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I did have one some 15 years ago, I was just wondering if the technology had moved on since those days. Cheers
There certainly have been improvements over that time.

There are options of stronger magnets, which can reduce scan times slightly.

There is a much wider range of pulse sequences, which can provide sequences more suitable for some conditions.

The noise is unlikely to be any different, but will vary according to the sequences chosen.

The main thing, if you are concerned, is that MRI scans are just as safe as they always have been. They are completely safe.

One caveat: do you have any metal objects in your body, or metal filings in your eyes? They'll ask that, of course.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 06:37 PM

The metal objects in my body didn't seem to affect the MRIs I've recently had.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
There certainly have been improvements over that time.

There are options of stronger magnets, which can reduce scan times slightly.

There is a much wider range of pulse sequences, which can provide sequences more suitable for some conditions.

The noise is unlikely to be any different, but will vary according to the sequences chosen.

The main thing, if you are concerned, is that MRI scans are just as safe as they always have been. They are completely safe.

One caveat: do you have any metal objects in your body, or metal filings in your eyes? They'll ask that, of course.
I have titanium hip replacements which I understand are not affected by magnetic fields, but the hearing aids need to come out
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
The metal objects in my body didn't seem to affect the MRIs I've recently had.
It depends what they're made of.

Ferro-magnetic metals can be a contra-indication for MRI.

It also depends upon what they are and where they are.

Ferro-magnetic materials would be caused to move by the magnetic field, which is on continuously. If the metal object is firmly fixed in position, it may be safe. Small fragments in the eye, for example, could move with disastrous effect.

Also, due to the radio waves, metal objects can heat up slightly. Not necessarily a problem, though.

Nevertheless, the practitioners are well aware of all this and will ensure you are completely safe.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-06-2018, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I have titanium hip replacements which I understand are not affected by magnetic fields, but the hearing aids need to come out
And credit cards: they'd get wiped!
william56
New Member!
United Kingdom norfolk
william56 is male 

15-06-2018, 09:03 PM

i have the same to do but it will be my first 1 ever
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 09:25 PM

I'm claustrophobic, so I took some extra diazepam first.

My CT scan on Tuesday was a doddle; everything is much more open than an MRI.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 11:36 PM

They'd have a problem with me - I have six silver bangles on my right wrist that do not come off - been there years - set alarm bells of anytime I fly anywhere !!

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top