Join for free
Page 4 of 50 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 07:18 AM

Re: Brexit and the EU

The Irish attitude is, indeed, the most disapointing aspect of these negotiations.

They have allowed themselves to be manipulated by the bruised ego's of Barnier et al to derail the UK's position by overplaying the border issue.

Of course they will suffer post Brexit, although no doubt, behind the scenes, promises are being made by Brussels......Personally, I wouldn't trust Brussels to keep them.

Even if we come to an agreeable customs arrangement with the EU we will have to re-engineer our relationship with Eire.
No longer can we humour theirs, nor the EU's, negative petulance.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
As I have said before we don't hear much about Brexit on a day to day basis but on the ABC news last night was a segment reporting that an EU person (Tusk? didn't catch the name properly) said that Britain needs to start having meaningful discussions with the EU because time was getting short.

The reporter said that May was hamstrung by a divided cabinet and a number of conservative MPs who wanted a 'hard' exit. She said that smooth exit from the EU was looking less and less likely.
What a coincidence.

I am just watching a recording of a documentary (The Day When Churchill Chose War) about how Britain stood alone against Nazi Germany in 1940.

Just as today, the government then was divided with many of Churchill's colleagues demanding that we should make peace with Hitler.

Well, we all know what happened then, don't we?

I'm just listening to a Cabinet meeting at which Churchill stood alone. Chamberlain, Halifax and others were all in favour of refusing to oppose Hitler.

As we all now know, Churchill won the argument.

Sadly, May is nothing like Churchill. She is a weak woman and I'm afraid I can't trust her to stand up for what the people have demanded.

Fortunately, there are a number of strong voices in Parliament and a letter has been sent to the PM stating their firm views.

https://brexitcentral.com/full-text-...y-30-tory-mps/

They need all the support they can get from us.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What a coincidence.

I am just watching a recording of a documentary (The Day When Churchill Chose War) about how Britain stood alone against Nazi Germany in 1940.

Just as today, the government then was divided with many of Churchill's colleagues demanding that we should make peace with Hitler.

Well, we all know what happened then, don't we?

I'm just listening to a Cabinet meeting at which Churchill stood alone. Chamberlain, Halifax and others were all in favour of refusing to oppose Hitler.

As we all now know, Churchill won the argument.

Sadly, May is nothing like Churchill. She is a weak woman and I'm afraid I can't trust her to stand up for what the people have demanded.

Fortunately, there are a number of strong voices in Parliament and a letter has been sent to the PM stating their firm views.

https://brexitcentral.com/full-text-...y-30-tory-mps/

They need all the support they can get from us.
Does that really have any significance to Brexit?
We are not looking at a war yet, but if we lose trade then that will be a possibility. Wars are caused by the rich and powerful losing money.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 07:58 PM

No comment.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->

No comment.
I rather likes this comment on the YouTube publication:

"Wait a minute I think you'll find the British taxpayer is paying over 10bn a year to this failed economic/undemocratic political union for absolutely no benefit in return. In fact the only money Im happy to pay into this union is for Farage expenses since he communicates the information about this union that we wouldn't hear under any other party. God bless Nigel and Im looking forward to a change in British politics with him at the helm."
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 10:30 PM

WWII is not a metaphor for Brexit. At the end of the day Brexit is a right wing movement rather than one where common sense prevails. Britain during WWII was a bastion of common sense and strong tea. Brexit is more about celebrating having bread and water while the rest of the world eats cake... Just saying
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-07-2018, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
WWII is not a metaphor for Brexit. At the end of the day Brexit is a right wing movement rather than one where common sense prevails. Britain during WWII was a bastion of common sense and strong tea. Brexit is more about celebrating having bread and water while the rest of the world eats cake... Just saying
Well I'm pleased to hear that.

It is reassuring to learn that the majority of people in this country are right-wing.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Well I'm pleased to hear that.

It is reassuring to learn that the majority of people in this country are right-wing.
It's not the majority JBR because a lot of people living here could not vote in the referendum as they don't have British citizenship. Many Brits living in the EU were also not allowed to vote.

But it's easy to influence people with patriotic propaganda. Look how well that worked during WWII. It's the cheapest way to gain influence.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-07-2018, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's not the majority JBR because a lot of people living here could not vote in the referendum as they don't have British citizenship. Many Brits living in the EU were also not allowed to vote.

But it's easy to influence people with patriotic propaganda. Look how well that worked during WWII. It's the cheapest way to gain influence.
Ah yes. Now where have I heard that before?

"All of those who chose not to vote would have voted to remain in the EU."

Of course they would!

"Then there are those who weren't allowed to vote because they are not British citizens."

Of course non-British citizens may not vote! Should everyone in every other EU country have been allowed to vote as to whether Britain should leave the EU?
I'm sure you would have preferred them to be allowed do so!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

03-07-2018, 12:09 AM

Well you did say the "majority of people in this country". You didn't say the majority of "British citizens" did you. I was discussing this subject with a friend at the weekend. He mentioned ignorance and arrogance as the reason we have Brexit. Now his brother voted brexit because of immigration (go figure out how that one works sherlock!).

The family splits are the same as for Trump in the US. Perhaps you have all been played by either China or a n other... ???

Page 4 of 50 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top