Join for free
Page 7 of 12 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 12:05 AM

Re: The English Habit

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I remember many years ago my mother bought Brook Bond dividend tea with the perforated stamp voucher on the side of the packet.
Yes, my mother collected them. Didn’t you get 5/- per card of the little orange stamps?
I can’t remember who cashed them, the grocer or were they sent off?

I have a small box of cards that came out of Brooke Bond tea as well.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 12:16 AM

whats wrong with reboiled water?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 12:29 AM

I always brew leaf tea in a pot either a small stainless steel one or a china pot - depends whether it is just for me or I have visitors.

Ii is usually drunk from a china mug however lately I have started using a spare stainless steel insulated cup with a lid (the type you use while driving in a car on journeys). I have experimented with this because I like my tea almost scalding hot and dislike it when the remains in the cup cool down. This mug/cup keeps it piping hot for ages and holds considerably more than a normal mug. I quite like it this way especially when watching a movie on TV.

For Christmas my kids gave me two tins of ridiculously expensive tea from a place called T2, one is Chai (I used to make my own) and the other is called "Spiced Mince Pie". I haven't tried the latter so can't say what it is like yet.

I am not fond of coffee and tend to drink instant for convenience though I have several percolators and coffee making devices I find them too fiddly and the coffee is not as hot as I like it.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
No milk?

Nup. Maybe just a bit of lemon. Milk in coffee.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I always brew leaf tea in a pot either a small stainless steel one or a china pot - depends whether it is just for me or I have visitors.

Ii is usually drunk from a china mug however lately I have started using a spare stainless steel insulated cup with a lid (the type you use while driving in a car on journeys). I have experimented with this because I like my tea almost scalding hot and dislike it when the remains in the cup cool down. This mug/cup keeps it piping hot for ages and holds considerably more than a normal mug. I quite like it this way especially when watching a movie on TV.

For Christmas my kids gave me two tins of ridiculously expensive tea from a place called T2, one is Chai (I used to make my own) and the other is called "Spiced Mince Pie". I haven't tried the latter so can't say what it is like yet.

I am not fond of coffee and tend to drink instant for convenience though I have several percolators and coffee making devices I find them too fiddly and the coffee is not as hot as I like it.
That is most impressive that you can make your own, as LD noted, it does take a little time.

I like my tea and coffee one degree cooler than the sun (just below boiling will do) and have tried the stainless mugs, but they taste funny somehow sipped through the plastic lid. If you find one that doesn't corrupt the flavor, let me know!

The path to the microwave for a reheating is a well-worn one.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
That is most impressive that you can make your own, as LD noted, it does take a little time.

I like my tea and coffee one degree cooler than the sun (just below boiling will do) and have tried the stainless mugs, but they taste funny somehow sipped through the plastic lid. If you find one that doesn't corrupt the flavor, let me know!

The path to the microwave for a reheating is a well-worn one.
Tons of recipes for Chai on the Internet. I tried several until I got one I liked. To be honest none are as good as the drink I was given in Pakistan in the early 70s when chai was mixed and brewed in front of me when I visited someone's house. I have been drinking Chai ever since but never achieved that flavour - it was perfect.

I haven't noticed the plastic affecting the taste of the tea though admittedly it is not quite the same taste as when drunk from a china mug - this particular mug's lid does have a stainless lip and it could be used by removing the lid to drink I guess. The only precaution I do take it to strain the tea to ensure no leaves are in the cup so it doesn't brew any more.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 08:02 AM

Like Tea piping hot, but, it never seems to taste the same when reblitzed in the Microwave.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Coffee for me only too, Nescafe instant.
Same for me Tiffs are you sure we are not sisters ?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 09:36 AM

I drink tea and coffee, in equal quantities, throughout the day, but would stop about 4pm. I would have a decaf tea later if really fancied it, but tend to stop with the caffeine early.

PG tips for me. Often made in a cup, but sometimes I will use a small tea pot. Milk, no sugar.

Many decades ago when in one office I was gently rebuked by a colleague for drinking a lot of hot drinks during the day. Er, excuse me, my business!! I wonder if it was an attempt to warm up, because the man sitting in front of me often opened the window, during harsh winter weather?!

My older sis says she drinks many cups during the day! But she prefers loose leaf tea, which I always found too weak.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
whats wrong with reboiled water?
Annie, I would reply to your question but l might not be 100% accurate on the reason that it’s not good for you.
I am sure there was a thread about it and now l dare not reboil the water.

One of the members might be able to retrieve the thread in the ‘showcase’ mode.

Edited to add this.....

"Every time you reboil the water, they get more concentrated, and you really don't want to be having them in your body." Nitrates turn into nitrosamines and become carcinogenic. These chemicals have been linked to diseases like leukemia and non-Hodgkin lymphoma as well as various types of cancer“

Page 7 of 12 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top