Join for free
Reply
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
sjbo659's Avatar
sjbo659
Member
sjbo659 is offline
Alaska
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 71
sjbo659 is male  sjbo659 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-12-2009, 04:57 PM
31

Re: Winter fuel payments, when do they arrive?

What are winter fuel payments? And at what age in your country do you have to be to get them? In the US for the most part we don't get any help. My fuel bill to heat my home runs me about 375.00 per month int he winter and about 160.00 int he summer. Just curious.
Reply With Quote
Meg's Avatar
Meg
Global Mod
Meg is offline
Worcestershire
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 13,447
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-12-2009, 05:08 PM
32

Re: Winter fuel payments, when do they arrive?

Originally Posted by chinadoll View Post
I had mine 2 weeks ago. Maybe it's earlier in Wales?
So did I see post no 22
Reply With Quote
Meg's Avatar
Meg
Global Mod
Meg is offline
Worcestershire
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 13,447
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-12-2009, 05:15 PM
33

Re: Winter fuel payments, when do they arrive?

Originally Posted by sjbo659 View Post
What are winter fuel payments? And at what age in your country do you have to be to get them? In the US for the most part we don't get any help. My fuel bill to heat my home runs me about 375.00 per month int he winter and about 160.00 int he summer. Just curious.
Hi SJ it is an allowanced to help with the cost of fuel. A one off yearly payment of 250 paid to the over 60s to help compensate for the measly pensions many of us received having contributed for about 40 years .
Reply With Quote
Morticia
Banned / Account Closed
Morticia is offline
A cat basket in the UK
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 358
Morticia is female 
 
19-12-2009, 11:10 PM
34

Re: Winter fuel payments, when do they arrive?

Originally Posted by sjbo659 View Post
What are winter fuel payments? And at what age in your country do you have to be to get them? In the US for the most part we don't get any help. My fuel bill to heat my home runs me about 375.00 per month int he winter and about 160.00 int he summer. Just curious.
wow.. that sounds a hefty fuel bill.
i just ran 200 pound sterling through a currency converter .. that would be 324 US dollars.

You've got me curious now. hope you don't think I'm been cheeky for asking...but...
Do you get any help in the US with medical prescriptions and travel passes (subsidised fares) and other things?
Reply With Quote
sjbo659's Avatar
sjbo659
Member
sjbo659 is offline
Alaska
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 71
sjbo659 is male  sjbo659 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
20-12-2009, 12:15 AM
35

Re: Winter fuel payments, when do they arrive?

Originally Posted by Morticia View Post
wow.. that sounds a hefty fuel bill.
i just ran 200 pound sterling through a currency converter .. that would be 324 US dollars.

You've got me curious now. hope you don't think I'm been cheeky for asking...but...
Do you get any help in the US with medical prescriptions and travel passes (subsidised fares) and other things?
Well to be perfectly honest the answer to everything is no. I have my own insurance plan with medical, dental and perscription. Combined they run about 450.00 per month. There is no such thing as a travel subsidy. No matter what you hear over there things here in the US are not always as rosey as they sound. Basically we pay for everything out of our pockets. That is why so many are against Obamas health care plan. All its doing is taking more money from people like me who have worked hard all their lives to get what they have and give it to people that don't want to work. Its another typical welfare plan the democrates are famous for with no regards to the working middle class. Its this presidents wealth redistribution. Take it from hard working people and give it to welfare cases. Sorry if I sound bitter about it but its what this world has come to. People feel entitled now and its borne on the back of people that still have morals and responsibility for their own lives.
Reply With Quote
Morticia
Banned / Account Closed
Morticia is offline
A cat basket in the UK
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 358
Morticia is female 
 
20-12-2009, 12:33 AM
36

Re: Winter fuel payments, when do they arrive?

You don't sound bitter at all ... it's a fair point if you've provided for yourself all your working life , and payed your taxes and then see other people grabbing benefits.

I did always wonder how it worked in the USA. We always moan about our NHS in the UK and the lenghty waiting lists but at least... eventually... you do get treatment and it's free. And of course if it's an emergency, immediate treatment.

I knew someone (an american) whose husband died last year and incurred heavy medical bills ... though I didn't understand all the details eventually she had to sell her house ...On top of her bereavment I really don't know how she coped.
Reply With Quote
sjbo659's Avatar
sjbo659
Member
sjbo659 is offline
Alaska
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 71
sjbo659 is male  sjbo659 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
20-12-2009, 12:47 AM
37

Re: Winter fuel payments, when do they arrive?

Originally Posted by Morticia View Post
You don't sound bitter at all ... it's a fair point if you've provided for yourself all your working life , and payed your taxes and then see other people grabbing benefits.

I did always wonder how it worked in the USA. We always moan about our NHS in the UK and the lenghty waiting lists but at least... eventually... you do get treatment and it's free. And of course if it's an emergency, immediate treatment.

I knew someone (an american) whose husband died last year and incurred heavy medical bills ... though I didn't understand all the details eventually she had to sell her house ...On top of her bereavment I really don't know how she coped.
Unfortunately thats how it goes sometimes. Its a real shame that people cannot just be honest. Even here in the US people do not go untreated, even the poor. All they have to do is go to the emergency ward of any hospital and they will get treated. To say they have no medical is a blatent lie and all that is going on now with all this about medical coverage is just a means for the government to increase our taxes and thats exactly whats happening. The way this whole thing is set up the so called medical insurance won't even become available for three to five years but the 25% increase in our taxes begins now. Obama has said people need to learn to live on 75% of what they make now in order to make do. Thats pretty much lays it out. I am glad I have in my 60's now becuase I would hate to be young right now facing whats coming.
Reply With Quote
poempoet
New Member!
poempoet is offline
Herts
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1
poempoet is female 
 
20-12-2009, 01:12 PM
38

Re: Winter fuel payments, when do they arrive?

We've had ours already but I haven't had my 10 bonus though my husband has - nothing's ever definitive...
Reply With Quote
galty
Banned / Account Closed
galty is offline
rainham essex
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 548
galty is male 
 
22-11-2010, 12:38 PM
39

Re: Winter fuel payments, when do they arrive?

Just had a letter stating that I will get my WFP of 250 in the next three weeks.


Reply With Quote
Mags's Avatar
Mags
Global Mod
Mags is offline
South West UK
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 17,043
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-11-2010, 01:46 PM
40

Re: Winter fuel payments, when do they arrive?

Originally Posted by galty View Post
Just had a letter stating that I will get my WFP of 250 in the next three weeks.


My winter allowance of 125 arrived this morning (woohoo!)...... my hubby's always arrives about a week after for some reason!
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.