Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 11:06 AM

Re: Fed up with being ripped off for 'disabled' devices.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Oh. OK. I didn't know if you was aware of it or not, as we are not always told these things.
I think it's law that the retailer points this out, Mups.
Sorry if I sounded unappreciative, I'm just so wound up.
Thanks for taking the time to point it out.

Last Friday I met with a guy from a wheelchair adaptation company.
They can place chin controls onto one of their chairs that operated the wheelchair, TV, mobile phone, care-call system, radio etc.

Great ideas that'll make my mum's life a lot easier.....for £15k
This includes the wheelchair.

All very well if you happen to be rich and disabled.

Jeez
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 11:10 AM

It is a rip off, can't say it isn't. Not sure what we can do to fix it as for many money is their God, they can't make anything but biggest profit they can. I would add I know a few people work for a company that make these things and they are all on pretty rubbish wages so it's not the factory workers making the killing.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 11:24 AM

Every thing that T-pin says is true.
Mobility scooter batteries. Go to a mobility shop and you will pay 30-40% more than if you go to a battery wholesaler and get vat off as well.
Hoist. Make your own. But that is a different story.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I think it's law that the retailer points this out, Mups.
Sorry if I sounded unappreciative, I'm just so wound up.
Thanks for taking the time to point it out.

Last Friday I met with a guy from a wheelchair adaptation company.
They can place chin controls onto one of their chairs that operated the wheelchair, TV, mobile phone, care-call system, radio etc.

Great ideas that'll make my mum's life a lot easier.....for £15k
This includes the wheelchair.

All very well if you happen to be rich and disabled.

Jeez

Tpin, calm down dear. Don't try to do everything at once. I'm sure you will find enough things as time goes on and your Mum is home, without trying to get everything perfect in one go. You'll give yourself a heart attack.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 12:05 PM

Have you seen the price of stairlifts? They always underquote, the fact is, they virtually never come under 10k, and quite often nearer 20k. I don't really understand why, when you look at what is in them - a chair and a bit of rail.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Tpin, calm down dear. Don't try to do everything at once. I'm sure you will find enough things as time goes on and your Mum is home, without trying to get everything perfect in one go. You'll give yourself a heart attack.
Me thinks your after the late Mr Winner's job in the esure ad.

Things like hoist etc I have to have before she can return, the occupational therapists have given me a list as long as my arm, things that need to be in place before a care company will agree to provide care.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 12:17 PM

Me thinks your after the late Mr Winner's job in the esure ad.

Things like hoist etc I have to have before she can return, the occupational therapists have given me a list as long as my arm, things that need to be in place before a care company will agree to provide care.
Yes has to be all done I know from when we had my mum here and when dad went home to his flat. Can you get any help these days with grants etc ? We never qualified but I know some people got quite a lot.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

28-06-2016, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes has to be all done I know from when we had my mum here and when dad went home to his flat. Can you get any help these days with grants etc ? We never qualified but I know some people got quite a lot.
I've not applied.....id rather not, I don't like it when people get grants when they can afford it. Grants are there to help those that need help, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

I just don't like being ripped off.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

28-06-2016, 12:25 PM

I've not applied.....id rather not, I don't like it when people get grants when they can afford it. Grants are there to help those that need help, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

I just don't like being ripped off.
Fair enough tpin it was just a thought as it nearly crippled us trying to buy it all, £7000 for bathroom when you earn less that £5000 a year was daunting but we got there in the end and I am sure you will too and your mum will love you for doing it.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

28-06-2016, 12:39 PM

I e done the shower/wet room. Thankfully.
Drive in shower, lift up/lower basin etc.

Fitted new French Windows, new ramp to garden.

The rest can be done to shut her needs but we won't know what until she's home.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top