Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 04:49 PM

When Are You Too Old To Get A Puppy?

My sister and her husband have been in dispute! They have a 14year old dog and my sister has seen a puppy she'd like. Her husband has refused to go with her to see the puppy, saying they are too old to get another dog! He states, that in another fourteen years time, he will be in his 80's and feels it's not fair or right to get a puppy at their age...she's 66 and he's 71.
Anyway, she's taken no notice of him and has come back with the puppy, Finn! Isn't he adorable?!!
Was she wrong?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1377  
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 04:52 PM

Re: When Are You Too Old To Get A Puppy?

Two people being in dispute over whether to have one is a more important reason not to get one, imho.

I'd be fuming.....emotional blackmail at its very worst.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 04:52 PM

Lovely and as long as they can manage of afford to employ someone to walk it I can't see any reason to have an age limit at all.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 04:57 PM

He's gorgeous!
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 04:59 PM

Awh I would have it. You can always make provision for a dog just in case. It's called aunty Art
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 05:00 PM

the dog could well out live them , and it might not be able to be rehomed which happened with my FILs dog we had it PTS .
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 05:03 PM

Yes she was wrong...but she is a woman and they invariably are !
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

What you have to watch is whether the older dog can cope with a boisterous pup or not. It matters not about age necessarily, of the owners, but the attitude of the existing dog.

After all it's the existing dog's house first and foremost, and the older dog may not have the patience to deal with the pup. If the pup causes a problem, then I'm afraid the pup will have to go. Don't you agree. Besides, as has already been said, it really isn't a good idea getting a pup if both adult parties cannot agree. It can only cause potential strife and resentment towards the pup, and that is not fair to the pup, or to the older dog.
This has not been thought out properly has it ?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about numbers/ages.

He's a lovely pup.

With a bit of luck the older dog will help raise him, will himself benefit from a youngster around the place and, of course, the pup will still be there when the older dog isn't.

Then, if you want to get truly practical but philosophical, one of the couple might die leaving the other, hopefully, to gain some comfort from the pup's presence.

I hope the husband comes round to the idea - bet he does!
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Yes she was wrong...but she is a woman and they invariably are !
Ere, that Malcolm, just watch what you are saying ! That is a very sexist remark ! Do you really want to be ostracised by all the ladies on this site ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top