Join for free
Page 10 of 27 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 09:10 AM

Re: Pies, pies and more pies

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I think a lot depends on the eggs used. Sometimes they have really deep golden yolks, sometimes they are quite pale. Problem is - you don't know for sure until you have cracked them open!

Also - some commercially made custards may have food colouring added - especially those from the cheaper end of the market.

This depends on what the hens have been fed.

Like goats milk, tastes different if the goats eat something different.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
This depends on what the hens have been fed.

Like goats milk, tastes different if the goats eat something different.
I like that idea , also. It's sure bet that hens in the U.K are fed differently than hens in the Philippines.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 12:39 PM

The best custard tart I have ever eaten was in Lisbon!!!
https://www.eater.com/2017/6/28/1586...n-where-to-eat

Apparently, the monks used to use the egg whites as starch, leaving a surplus of egg yolks.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 02:08 PM

They are all desserts Bakerman.

Where is UJ, he will eat them for you.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
They are all desserts Bakerman.

Where is UJ, he will eat them for you.
Not if I get to them first
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 09:37 PM

When I saw this thread I thought it was posted by UJ and would be about steak and kidney or pork pies! So shocked that it's about puddings!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
When I saw this thread I thought it was posted by UJ and would be about steak and kidney or pork pies! So shocked that it's about puddings!
Puddings ? Where did you get that idea ? Puddings are enormously different from pies. That is unless you call apple pie and Lemon meringue pie, puddings.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Puddings ? Where did you get that idea ? Puddings are enormously different from pies. That is unless you call apple pie and Lemon meringue pie, puddings.
In English, 'pudding' is the generic name for 'sweet' or 'afters'.
bakerman
Mexico

13-08-2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
In English, 'pudding' is the generic name for 'sweet' or 'afters'.

Strange use of the language. According to UJ a chocolate cake is a pudding. Anywhere outside the U.K., if you ask a real chef to make a pudding, he/she will make a dessert made of milk/cream, eggs, sugar and some wide variety of flavoring. (Occasionally, a thickener such as flour or corn starch is used.) Thus, you are served a cold, thickened, sweet dessert, like: chocolate pudding, rice pudding, vanilla pudding, butterscotch pudding, etc. etc.

Yorkshire "pudding" , sometimes served with roast beef, or prime rib, is about as far from a pudding as you can get.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 09:40 AM

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/pudding

Page 10 of 27 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top