Join for free
Page 10 of 20 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 08:15 PM

Re: The Gardening Year 2013

Help! me rhododenron's gone all limp and dropping leaves, flowered beautifully for weeks now it's come over all droopy, kept it watered is it the heat or is there a droop like clematis get?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 08:31 PM

Hi Twizard - for what it's worth :- is it planted in ericaceous compost ? are you overwatering it ? These are my best suggestions.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 09:20 PM

Yes and no.....Will have to try the gardening websites!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 09:13 AM

They were going to be my suggestions too .. overwatering is as bad as underwatering. If it's grafted rootstock though, it should cope without ericaceous soil. Hope you find a solution.
I'm off to the garden centre today - I've promised myself to be blinkered - only buy what I need!
What's the betting I buy more plants
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 07:24 PM

I blame Gwyn and Meg for this, today I bought a (just one ) raspberry cane. I think it is called Fallgold, it is a yellow one. Supposed to be sweet - looking forward to seeing the fruit
Need to do a bit of jiggling around in the fruit/veg border but it will all have to wait 'til next year now
(dare I say this, we need some rain - my three water butts are almost empty)
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I blame Gwyn and Meg for this, today I bought a (just one ) raspberry cane. I think it is called Fallgold, it is a yellow one. Supposed to be sweet - looking forward to seeing the fruit
Need to do a bit of jiggling around in the fruit/veg border but it will all have to wait 'til next year now
(dare I say this, we need some rain - my three water butts are almost empty)
I bet you can hardly move in your garden Janela with all the stuff you have planted recently...
My raspberries are doing very well now though of course I am not expecting a crop until year 2 though there are a few fruit buds on there already.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

08-06-2013, 04:02 PM

I text'd my daughter, "Me pumpkins are up!"
She replied, "Pervert!"
She's jealous 'cos she's only got cucumbers.
Cut back that rhodie, see what happens.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

08-06-2013, 06:51 PM

I'm a novice with raspberries Meg, this is my first one.
I'll follow your lead as and when you post about it. (Or I'll shout for help!)
Instead of jiggling, hubby is extending the border further along and taking out a couple of old shrubs (if he can )
The border is about 40 feet long but the end is a bit shaded.

Good luck with the rhododendron and pumpkins Twizard.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2013, 06:36 PM

My raspberries are looking good this year with the fruit setting easily. Last year the early fruit just rotted on the canes with the continual wet weather but the later autumn canes made an excellent crop. As you will have guessed I grow two types, the summer fruiting variety that fruit on last years new wood, and the autumn variety, which I prefer, which fruit on canes made this year. I find the autumn varieties much more reliable and the fruit is both bigger and sweeter. Both types grow on runners which spread underground and can be quite invasive, so I always hoe any I find that are not in the raspberry bed to prevent them from spreading too far out of control......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 09:50 AM

16th June.

..The runner beans are taking ages to get going, I think it has been just too cold.
..The grafted outdoor tomato plant (Elegance) has a couple of little tomatoes on there but I think the crop will be disappointingly small.
..The strawberry plants in their tubs are doing well with fruit setting.
..I will have a few gooseberries and blackcurrants but because I pruned both back severely the crop will be small this year.
.. The newly panted raspberry canes are looking good with a few fruit though they are not meant to fruit the first year.

I have been a bit concerned by the lack of bees but I notice this morning the flowering Ceanothus is covered in bumble bees

Page 10 of 20 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top