Join for free
Page 11 of 63 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 > Last »
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2014, 08:22 PM

Re: Film - the most recent you have seen?

I also watched Black Swan, bit strange but once I got into it I sort of enjoyed it. Bit weird though and couldn't watch it again!
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 11:51 AM

I haven't been to the pictures in years, I tend to wait for them to go onto sky movies before I get to watch them the most recent have been Star Trek Into Darkness and Skyfall.

But I do have a very large dvd collection so usually watch one of them when I have time.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->

But I do have a very large dvd collection so usually watch one of them when I have time.
How quaintly old fashioned I have spent the last year getting rid of all my DVDs and putting all the films and TV shows on a hard drive(s). Then you can watch them on any TV in the house or stick them on a tablet to watch on the train (if you wanted to - I don't personally)

Similarly with all my music.
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 03:18 PM

watched the black swan as well, very strange and dark.....how do you get dvd on hard drive, what a good idea
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 07:55 PM

I'm old fashioned but I have to say the best thing I every did with my disc collection of films was to put them all on a hard drive, all indexed and in alphabetical order, no more shifting through hundreds of discs that take up a lot of space, and on one small compact portable unit, it's a joy.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 02:31 PM

An overlooked film that is very much worth a look is 'Spinning Plates'. It is a documentary on 3 restaurant owners and their families. Seems dead boring but there is quite a punch near the end where you learn more about them on a personal level. I think most of you will enjoy it a great deal.

Originally Posted by Spinning Plates IMDB
A documentary about three unique restaurants and their respective owners.
Spinning Plates IMDb
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 04:38 PM

Mark - can you 'only' watch the docu on computer - shame if so, i'd love to see it .....
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2014, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
12 years a slave.
Very quick download around 20mins.

Was a slow starter but it grips you.
An excellent movie I thought based on a true story.

I wonder when will some movie producer have the guts to make a movie on how the British slaved the Irish and bred them with the blacks to make a stronger working slave. Also starved them to near death.Yes us Brits did our fair share of slaving it wasn't only the US as we are always led to believe.
Guess that would be to close to home.
Wasn't the Tate &Lyle empire built on slavery?

What annoys me even more is the fact that none of these 'anti slavery' films etc ever seems to mention the fact that the start of the trail was in Africa where one village would attack another and capture the villagers and sell them to the Arabs who then sold them on. Whenever blame is being laid it is almost always at the feet of the white slavers who yes were despicable, but were NOT the first link in the chain, that link was other Africans.

Has anyone else seen Ashanti? film with Michael Cain, whose African wife is kidnapped by other Africans and sold to an Arab chieftain?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2014, 03:17 PM

It shouldn't matter 'who' started the chain, the whites didn't have to go along with any of it .....
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2014, 03:18 PM

Was furkling up and down the channels the other night and came across District 9. Saw this a few years back but worth a second go. Anyone else seen this film? Another little known product of the Blomkamp/Jackson team but still one of the best sci-fi movies ever. This is despite the fact that it starts out feeling like one of those cheapo amateur films made with a hand held video cam, because suddenly you are into the story and it no longer matters.

A few odd facts I discovered when looking this film up. District 9 was actually filmed on a real settlement which was being cleared and the people rehoused, quite literally the 'prawns' were being moved into shacks as the inhabitants were moved out. In those early scenes the conversations between the prawns and Wikus were ad libbed, and 'all' those initial 'prawns' were acted by the one actor.

For all you sci-fi fans who have not seen this film I recommend you do so asap.

Page 11 of 63 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top