Join for free
Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 12:57 PM

Re: Frugal living

Decide on your meals for a week and write down along with your shopping list so you can buy exactly what you need . Just shop weekly, been doing this for a while now and it saves us a fortune and nothing is wasted
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
Decide on your meals for a week and write down along with your shopping list so you can buy exactly what you need . Just shop weekly, been doing this for a while now and it saves us a fortune and nothing is wasted
And never, ever, shop when you are hungry!
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 01:17 PM

I had a spell out of work..and had a limited income..
I must say I enjoyed the challenge of making every penny count..
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 01:49 PM

I must disagree (at least partially) with you Abbey.

Oweing to where I live, I do the major shopping fortnightly, so a comprehensive shopping list is necessary. However, unless I have something specific in mind, the list has items like "meat" or "vegetables" and I see what is available / a good deal on the day.

Flexibility is the key because if you go with a fixed list in mind, you might 1. miss out on offers / reduced items or 2. Find that you can't get some of the ingredients or 3. find that some items cost more than you bargain for.

Cooking is a bit of an 'adventure' in my house - but there's always something in the freezer.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I must disagree (at least partially) with you Abbey.

Oweing to where I live, I do the major shopping fortnightly, so a comprehensive shopping list is necessary. However, unless I have something specific in mind, the list has items like "meat" or "vegetables" and I see what is available / a good deal on the day.

Flexibility is the key because if you go with a fixed list in mind, you might 1. miss out on offers / reduced items or 2. Find that you can't get some of the ingredients or 3. find that some items cost more than you bargain for.

Cooking is a bit of an 'adventure' in my house - but there's always something in the freezer.
Writing a menu ensures a blanced diet .
Some offers are not quite what they seem .
You might not like what is on offer .
Not buying meat saves a lot of money .
Obviously if things I do buy regularly are on special offers i do buy them but I don't live on special offers .
lilac
West yorks uk

07-06-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
Writing a menu ensures a blanced diet .
Some offers are not quite what they seem .
You might not like what is on offer .
Not buying meat saves a lot of money .
Obviously if things I do buy regularly are on special offers i do buy them but I don't live on special offers .
Trouble is.the cheaper cuts of meat take more cooking..therefore ''is it cheaper?''
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 06:08 PM

Abbey,
Being a university educated 60 something, I trust that my brain can still recognise what is good value, remember what I like and what I don't, and think on my feet when the potential of a real bargain presents itself.

I don't obsess about a "balanced" diet. I eat a healthier diet than many, grow as many veges as possible, buy fresh food from local suppliers and cook from scratch as much as possible. I regard 5-a-day as little more than an advertising slogan.

I don't compromise on the quality of meat but if Tesco, Morrisons etc has an unmissable offer on prime meat, I'll buy it. Do not confuse cheap cuts, with prime cuts sold cheaply.

I come back to my original point - Flexibility. Have a plan - fine - but if you see a bargain, be prepared either to change your plan, or stick it in the freezer and incorporate it in next week's menu.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK

07-06-2014, 08:17 PM

The original poster asked for tips I gave mine .
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK

07-06-2014, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
Trouble is.the cheaper cuts of meat take more cooking..therefore ''is it cheaper?''

I don't buy meat ever because I am a vegetarian .
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 09:30 PM

I like to shop in the supermarkets after 8pm as that's when they reduce perishable items down to almost nothing, a loaf of bread costs 9 pence as do bread rolls etc, it's worth stocking up the freezer with bread to last a while, ready made meals and pasta dishes which I buy often are only 15 pence, I save a fortune!

I, like others re use carrier bags and will be stocking up before they start charging for them.

I regularly use money off vouchers and there are great savings to be made with a Tesco card, just got a voucher with £5 to spend in store

Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top