Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2018, 02:29 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Great to see you back in such fine scribbling form RJ.

One thing a Limpet can't do...limp, just saying like.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Are scribblers retarding???
Scribblers are not electrically wired
They do get weary and tired
So if we’re not here, have a cold beer
We’ll scribble along when we're required.

Do write up that tale of Hong Kong Harbour when you get the time Gummy.

I am in the process of following up the old Legends of St. Brendan the Navigator, it is said that he discovered America long before Columbus did.
Also any Irish connections with Native American tribes, I shall post my findings at a later date.

A cold but beautiful day here in Dublin, I'm off to town now to meet an old workmate of mine, a Spanish chap who came here in 1960, married a Dublin girl and settled here, last time I saw him was at his wedding in 1973, plenty to yap about when we meet. I'm curious as to how he got my phone number, it's not listed.
"I'll raise a bunion on his Spanish onion if I catch him bending tonight" Remember that old song?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2018, 06:50 PM

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2018, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
ah well done spits "are you retired?" or are "you retarded" or both?? - that's alright never seen an exclusion rule on retards on this thread or apart from me; SP; Pugs RJ and Jem we would all go down!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

30-10-2018, 10:29 PM

Some real smashers in that lot Sweetie, I have to say that the Queen of Rumania didn’t look very Rumanian to me, I knew Mary Pickford would be there, Lillian Gish would have made the list had it not been for her eyes, she did have extra large eyes, one would be in fear of one of them popping out if one was dining with her, although some men find big eyes attractive.
Anna May Wong featured in a few of of the Charlie Chan films, a beautiful woman in my eyes.

Which reminds me.
Jimmy Wong and his brother Tommy Wong were driving along an Irish country road when they came to a fork in the road, they were heading for Kerry and the signpost was missing from the pole, An old farmer was sitting on his suitcase waiting for a bus and Jimmy Wong got out to ask him directions.
“Which is the road to Kerry?” asks Jimmy
“That one is the right one” says the farmer pointing to the left. “And that one leads to the cliffs” he adds pointing to the right.
Jimmy gets back into the car and says to his brother “We go right”
The headlines in the Kerry Gazette next morning read “TWO WONGS MAKE A RIGHT and topple over cliff into Sea”
Alright alright, but it's not too bad for a makey upper on the spot.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2018, 11:42 PM

Oh Jem I so love your humour.

Just popped in to say Goodnight Possums. X
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 05:07 AM

The Incidence of the moving flintstone and shattering events!!

Women are a continuous moving feast ; an unfathomable mystery and sometimes a moment of mirth!!

Immediately to the side of our abode we have our cesspit - rural living you understand - NO mains. The area is rather pleasant ; covered with earth then green shade clothe and finally flintstones!!

many months back the lady asked her BIL he being beafy strong if he could shovel up 25 barrow loads of flintstones and dump them somewhere else. He is a dear soul and started one day - only to do one mornings work and then disappeared for several months!

at which point the grass started growing through the flintstones - quiet pretty really but not to all! - whilst I was away on other family business things shifted up a notch and when I returned I not only was presented with the current story but also the explanation.

Whilst I was absent and therefore could not be consulted [ what a shame!] said BIL was now asked to come around with his giant whipper snipper [no funny comments please] and cut down the grass. Did I forget to tell you about the huge glass sliding door that opens onto the grassed flintstone area?

he commenced snipping and of course sending flintstones flying in all directions - thank feck I wasn't there! - several hit the glass window and shattered it ! - fortunately is has a shaded transparent film stuck on it that kept the shattered glass together - as it stands today - a request was made to the insurance people who as usual take ages to access!

back to today - said BiL soundly turned up again maybe 5mths down the track and said I've come to remove the flintstones again!! - well at least he made a start - I gave him a caffeine hit and a baked spud for breakie and then left him to get on with it. He has moved one third of the flint to another spot and will return until the job is finished - what is going on top of the exposed shade clothe and soil only the Lord Knows. But the wif who is away at the moment I am sure has the plans hidden away down in the cleavage!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 08:01 AM

I got confused with all that that shite when Actresses became Actors. When exactly did this happen? it seems this predated the digital unification.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

31-10-2018, 06:18 PM

Who knows what plans the women have in store Gummy, there are ongoing mutterings between the wife and daughter of late, something is brewing with an interior decoration sniff about it, I’m bracing myself for another major upheaval any time now, hopefully whatever it is Christmas will intercede and gain me a few weeks grace.

Spitty here’s a kind of an answer for your query

The Guardian’s readers’ editor addressed the same subject in 2011 about what the appropriate term is, and referred to his paper’s own style guide where the word actor is to be used “for both male and female actors; do not use actress except when in name of award, eg Oscar for best actress”. It is also the style guide’s view that “actress comes into the same category as authoress, comedienne, manageress, ‘lady doctor’, ‘male nurse’ and similar obsolete terms that date from a time when professions were largely the preserve of one sex (usually men)”
If you have any more queries, feel free to share them.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

31-10-2018, 06:23 PM

Oh Jem it gets so confusing.
As for decorating sounds like a plan.

I'm planning something too, not told my hubby yet. X

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top