Join for free
Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2011, 06:08 PM

Re: started putting garden to bed

Oh CM, hope that's not the sort of bamboo that'll take over the garden! I made the mistake of planting one; looked lovely whilst it was secretly making underground runners and exploded all over the garden! I was able to keep it under control for a few years but as my health got worse it got away from me; had to hire men to come and get rid of it. And they missed some bits so it was back in no time... more expense!
callumsmum
warwickshire uk
callumsmum is female  callumsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2011, 06:46 AM

it is one of those bamboos i got here last year and their are 3 mature clumps of bamboo but they are the clump forming ones and very tall and good to keep eyes out..then i went and bought one of those broad leaf ones and they do grow and run well i knew i had planted it in the wrong place so i have moved it out front where it has more room..i dont really mind it spreading where i have planted it ..Its not very tall yet as its new i did notice it had produced some extra runners when i moved it..
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2011, 03:51 PM

I'm glad you don't mind it spreading, because it will..........!!!
callumsmum
warwickshire uk
callumsmum is female  callumsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 05:06 AM

I have to do some cutting back today we get our garden bin emptyied every other monday and mine needs filling so as its going to be dry today i shall do some dead heading etc..Must admit i find this time of the year depressing i like it when everything is growing..
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by callumsmum ->
I have to do some cutting back today we get our garden bin emptyied every other monday and mine needs filling so as its going to be dry today i shall do some dead heading etc..Must admit i find this time of the year depressing i like it when everything is growing..
Its the same here Callumsmum, garden bins emptied same as you and there's always a flurry of activity from everybody the weekend before as everybody wants to fill their bins!! So I will also be out there over the weekend cutting back lots of overgrown stuff
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
Its the same here Callumsmum, garden bins emptied same as you and there's always a flurry of activity from everybody the weekend before as everybody wants to fill their bins!! So I will also be out there over the weekend cutting back lots of overgrown stuff
Likewise here too! We usually scurry round the garden on the day before the bins are due to be emptied
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
That is fantastic Berxer!! It must be a strong one then, save some seeds for next year?
My one and only attempt at growing a sunflower was this year. The Brownie pack gave one of my grandaughters one in a weeny little pot. It is now over 10 ft tall. It was so important to her that we staked it well so survived those bad storms we had. When do I cut it to save the seeds, the birds are not eating them yet?
I thought that by now the seeds would have ripened and I could cut down the flower to save the seeds. They are there and are white but after picking a few out they are hollow inside, just a fluffy bit. I don't know what sort it is. Shall I leave it where it is, the birds aren't interested, is it too late for pollination?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

31-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Sorry, much too late. Better luck next year.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2011, 04:12 PM

Oh what a shame, it was beautiful, over 10ft tall and nursed like a baby.
Thanks anyway.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

31-10-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Oh what a shame, it was beautiful, over 10ft tall and nursed like a baby.
Thanks anyway.
Try more than one next year, I checked pollination and found this for you:

Since many sunflower varieties have a degree of self-incompatibility, pollen movement between plants by insects is important.

Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top