Join for free
Page 13 of 20 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2016, 10:38 AM

Re: Win 10 worse than a blasted, pushy door to door salesman

Sounds pretty grim to me Realist, but I suppose it's our fault by wanting the latest technology as with mobile phones, they were the exception when they first became available but now you are the exception if you don't have one. Were they thrust upon us by stealth? Is this the future to be told what O/S to use under the mistaken belief that you are making the decision? Do I have to own a car that does everything for me and lets my mind wonder instead of concentrating on driving? The problem is, you can't buy a car that hasn't been equipped with all the latest gizmo's. Am I to believe that everything today is meant to make you stop thinking for yourself? How many hours are spent watching 'Box Sets' playing computer games and listening to music, all the things that prevent constructive and creative thought. Ask yourself this....How long has it been since I sat down in silence and just thought? Without a TV or radio playing in the background, or without interruption from a telephone? Some of the worlds greatest scientific discoveries would not have been made if distractions had been present to interrupt the thought process of say, Einstein. The great man had seven suits and shirts all the same so upon waking he would not waste thinking time deciding what he would wear today......
Marvelous!
Questor
Kent, UK
Questor is female  Questor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2016, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I don't know as I haven't personally experienced it. However, to avoid clicking the red 'acceptance'(!) cross, perhaps right clicking on the taskbar and choosing 'close window' might do it. It will almost certainly come back though.
<snip>
Just thought I would say that I had an opportunity to test this tonight. The pop up thoughtfully offered "now" or "tonight" for upgrade and (having been caught before on the red X) I thought I'd try this out. The task bar would not show in front of the pop up box - very crafty of them. However, I managed to click and drag the Task Bar enough to the left to see the programs and saw a bundle of letters I didn't recognise, so clicked to highlight. Then I moved it over to the right and clicked "end task" - and the pop up went.

Sneaky lot, aren't they!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2016, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Questor ->
Just thought I would say that I had an opportunity to test this tonight. The pop up thoughtfully offered "now" or "tonight" for upgrade and (having been caught before on the red X) I thought I'd try this out. The task bar would not show in front of the pop up box - very crafty of them. However, I managed to click and drag the Task Bar enough to the left to see the programs and saw a bundle of letters I didn't recognise, so clicked to highlight. Then I moved it over to the right and clicked "end task" - and the pop up went.

Sneaky lot, aren't they!
Good for you. Trouble is, it will be back.

You should read back in this thread and try one of the options for downloading software to prevent this re-occurring.
Questor
Kent, UK
Questor is female  Questor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2016, 11:10 PM

It will probably be easier to shut down the laptop until August and buy the new tablet I keep promising myself.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2016, 11:25 PM

Just disable Windows updates and then uninstall update number KB3035583. Job done.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2016, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Just disable Windows updates and then uninstall update number KB3035583. Job done.
As long as you don't want any other updates.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 08:44 AM

As long as you don't want any other updates.
There won't BE any other updates JBR for people staying on Win 7/8 as it's going out of support.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 09:48 AM

I guess at some point you will be faced with the reality of choice. Much as you would have been if the government had mandated that everyone must have the Tamiflu vaccination when there was a swine flu scare some years ago. If that had happened would you have had the vaccination? If not how far would you go to resist it? Would you go to prison rather than have it?
That's based on an 'if' and a 'what if?' It wasn't something that happened. The Government didn't force that choice. Might as well say 'if' or ask 'what if? about anything else that didn't happen.

You are saying it's all about choice and I believe this is true. To say that people are being lead, without thought, by governments and businesses is totally wrong in my opinion. People young and old, from all walks of life think about and choose what they want/don't want and then act accordingly.

People will fight against that which they don't want. The Poll Tax has been given as an example. Another one could be the various strikes that happen when people believe an injustice is being done. Your fellow human beings are not as easily hoodwinked as you think they are and do not sit in armchairs letting themselves get dumped on. However, I suppose what is the case is that people can hold different opinions to your own and choose to let stuff happen, or at least not be so worried about it all as you are ..and that's a choice in itself.

We're on a Windows 10 thread here but it could appear your opinion is that, if a person decides to upgrade to Windows 10, they are somehow unthinking or easily lead. Quite a presumption and completely beyond the pale in my opinion.

RFID tagging might or might not happen in the time scale mentioned but if it does, it won't have to be done by way of any recommendations or pressure from governments and businesses. People generally can't get enough of technology. This isn't because they are all being led. It's because they have been shown the devices and decided they want them. No amount of leading or pressure will get people to buy, or be forced, into having something they don't want.

Taking another hypothetical view, a government might tell people they cannot be RFID chipped because it is considered step too far. Something over and above people identifying themselves by using a phone, the swipe of a card or other ways carried on the body (not in it). Wouldn't it also be government control if they were to make a law saying that people cannot have this done?

I haven't been asked to decide about energy usage meters yet. When the time comes I'll give it some thought. If I get one, I won't just think that I've given it some thought ..as you might think.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-05-2016, 05:03 PM

There won't BE any other updates JBR for people staying on Win 7/8 as it's going out of support.
Not for a few years yet. 2020 isn't it?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 08:21 PM

Not for a few years yet. 2020 isn't it?
Yes JB, I believe it's just Windows XP and Vista at present.
PS:- Have a good time in Germany, I'm looking forward to the report.....

Page 13 of 20 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top