Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 11:23 PM

Re: Your Ancestry

To do that, you need faith in the Ledgers credentials.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Think mine were all sent to Australia,

Lucky them! My mother's side of the family were immigrants to South Western Australia after WW1. They hailed from Northamptonshire. My mother was born in a tiny little village by the name of Sudborough. It still exists but is only a row of four houses in one street I think. My father's family were originally from Northern California. Many of my descendants still live there in and around the San Francisco Bay and Sacramento areas. No family crest that know of but I'm sure there would be one.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Genealogy is hobby of mine, Minx, so, yes, I know a lot about my ancestors - have a thread about it here:-

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...ight=genealogy
I love reading about your family, Silver Tabby! What a diverse and interesting lot they are! Like most Americans, I am a mutt with English, Irish, Swiss, Austrian, Australian, and French ancestry. While I have some prominent ancestors, those who lived simple, hardworking lives and managed to raise families despite hardships are the ones with whom I am the most fascinated.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Think mine were all sent to Australia,
Wasn’t that a penal colony?
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
On my mother's side not a lot prior to about 1890. On my father's side they were known as far as the 1745 rebellion.
You mean like Charles Edward Stuart?
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 12:43 PM

As my male family line goes all the way back to Moshe Rabbenu of Levi, a crest is not something I have ever thought about.
I suppose something along the lines of 'Let My People Go' perhaps and against a background of bulrushes.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 12:59 PM

The trouble with Ancestry - for me - is I know lots down one route (father's mother's father .....) but very little about where all the other routes lead. So there's something of interest dating back 300 odd years but so quickly watered down.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 03:24 PM

My Mum was convinced her side of the family was related to the Duke of Buckingham, as one of them hundreds of years ago had the same surname as her Dad, but could never prove a link between them.

My dad's side of the family were all born and bred in and around Bristol. One of his ancestors had been a local coalminer. My paternal grandad was a stonemason and became foreman of a council depot at some point.

His family were Quakers, yet I have a photo of my grandad in an army uniform, so perhaps he was a medic or ambulance driver.

My mum's side of the family come from the South Gloucestershire farming community. Her dad and his two brothers fought in WW1. The youngest brother never came home.
Granny had three brothers. All survived fought in the war, and they all came home.
What horrors they must have seen.

My paternal grandad emigrated to Australia in 1919 under a government soldier-settler scheme to farm there, and sent for his fiance, my granny, three years later. She had the banns read on the ship and they married in Perth the day after the ship docked in Freemantle.

My mum was born and lived on the farm. My Uncle was born over here. What a trek that was for a pregnant woman with a seven year old in tow, and the return journey to the farm with a babe in Arms.

The depression hit and the farm was no longer viable, so the family came back here. Mum and dad met when they were sixteen and twenty two respectively, and got married four years later in 1946.

And that is how I came to be me.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
You mean like Charles Edward Stuart?
Bonnie Prince Charlie......
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

18-03-2021, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Bonnie Prince Charlie......
Wow! That’s epic!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top