Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 01:28 PM

Re: Holly Berries

I think it is a variety of Holly there are a number with round none spiky leaves like this one called 'Highclere'

My Holly looks like that, no spikes but the leaves are usually variegated though many are plain green at the moment with no berries at all.

Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think it is a variety of Holly there are a number with round none spiky leaves like this one called 'Highclere'

My Holly looks like that, no spikes but the leaves are usually variegated though many are plain green at the moment with no berries at all.

Oooo that's pleasant been reading up about Hollys with no spikes.
Interesting, although confusing.

SF's pic is IMO a Cotoneaster. Similar to my Cotoneaster Lacteus ... dull leaves which are less smooth than those of the Holly
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 03:26 PM

Whatever Swim's photo is, there certainly are loads of nice shiny red berries aren't there.

I have noticed there are next to no Sloes around this autumn, so this is the first year I won't be making any Slow Gin for many years.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Whatever Swim's photo is, there certainly are loads of nice shiny red berries aren't there.

I have noticed there are next to no Sloes around this autumn, so this is the first year I won't be making any Slow Gin for many years.
Not many sloes here either Mups and no walnuts or hazels at all.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Not many sloes here either Mups and no walnuts or hazels at all.
Oh ... boohoooooo

I still miss the HUGE Walnut tree which grew across the lane from our house.

The trunk was clad with Ivy and there was a wealth of wildlife visiting it daily.

Squirrels, Magpies, Crows were in abundance and squabbling much of the time.

When we couldn't tell who was doing what, we'd see the branches and leaves moving and made up silly stories about Koala Bears and Kangaroos bouncing around

Hmmmm ... yes ... daft senses of humour and an amount of imagination
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2016, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

same here Mups. My friends and I went out sloe picking and came back with a quarter of what we usually collect. Is there a phantom picker out there I wonder.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2016, 06:56 PM

I think she's gorgeous, SF.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2016, 11:00 PM

The Holly tree at my gate is full of berries at the moment..
l'm not sure why is it has come out, upside down on here?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2354.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	2192  

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top