Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 10:33 AM

Re: Does this smell funny to you ?

I am very careful with dairy products, never use anything out of date ... including eggs.

Veg and fruit is bought when needed so it isn't left hanging around too long.

I very rarely buy tinned food, just baked beans .... oh, and cat food for Cassie
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 11:23 AM

Eggs last quite a while past their use by date, I tend to buy them every 6 weeks or so and rarely of ever have a problem with them. Just don't store them with anything strong smelling as they will pick up cheese, onion and fish smells.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I buy everything well in date. Milk I will always sniff before using.
Aha! susie, next time you do the sniff test on milk bottle, pour a little into a cup and sniff again and even take a sip, you're often sniffing just the rim of the bottle which might smell a bit off, when the milk is actually fine!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 11:39 AM

I dont mind eating stuff thats out of date,ive been doing it for yrs now,if stuff smells ok I eat it..
Im very sensitive to milk thats on the turn though cant touch the stuff if its even slightly going ...
and also ham when it gets a funny whiff about it yukkkk...goes in the bin
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Use by dates are a big con did you not see the documentary on tv a few month back when a chap lived on out of date foods for six month? He had regular check ups and everything turned out fine for him. As i said its a huge rip off and people are daft enough to beleve it. Did our ancestors bother with dates on foods nope they just sniffed and if it smelt off they binned it.

Yes I did see it Doc and at the time thought whilst shuddering "He has obviously got a cast iron stomach" which some of us do not have. Normal maybe or sensitive, but not cast iron.

Some can eat anything, and I mean anything, without adverse effects whilst others can be affected at the drop of a hat. Like that chap that only eats Road Kill ) Is he still alive!)
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 12:00 PM

Road kill is only meat I doubt he picks up anything not freshly killed. As long as you know how to butcher it you should be perfectly safe as it's likely fresher than in the supermarkets.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Road kill is only meat I doubt he picks up anything not freshly killed. As long as you know how to butcher it you should be perfectly safe as it's likely fresher than in the supermarkets.

And if he has no sense of smell!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

Unless it road kill is still warm, how would you know how long its been there? There is no way of knowing what other animals had been sniffing round, peeing on it , pecking at it or how long it had been laying in the sun.
Not for me thanks.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 12:56 PM

I can remember when we were kids if dad ever hit a pheasant and killed it he would stop and take it home and mum would pluck it and we'd have it for eating ..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

25-10-2015, 12:58 PM

Well no one is saying you have to eat it Mups I was just pointing out if he wants to eat it he is unlikely to come to worse harm than anyone buying from a supermarket.

As for having no sense of smell as far as I am aware he and others who do this (it's a growing thing) all have their sense of smell intact.

And they check the roads frequently only picking up fresh kill, they no more want to be ill than anyone else.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top