Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 01:27 PM

Re: Some healthy eating ideas.

I have lots of different brands and formulas of soy sauce..the saltier the better for me, plus I also use monosodium glutamate in many of my dishes to add flavour.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I've tried low-sodium soy sauce and it just doesn't do the job of regular soy. In fact, we use Yamasa. A tiny little bit goes a long way and has a very distinctive flavor (it's used in many Japanese restaurants) as opposed to tasting like salted water. Wonderful stuff and probably has 10,000 mg of sodium per teaspoon, but it's worth it
I really like it Linda it tastes fine to me and as I have now to reduce my salt intake even further for medical reasons it is better than no soy sauce at all
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
For me healthy eating means eating food as close to the natural product as possible

Butter, full fat milk, cheese, red meat, veggies, lard

The less processed the better in my book

One thing with stir fry , add a dash of water if it looks dry instead of more salt/sugar laden sauces
I agree Missy and I make as much as I can of what I eat myself including bread which gives me the opportunity to reduce the salt content.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I have lots of different brands and formulas of soy sauce..the saltier the better for me, plus I also use monosodium glutamate in many of my dishes to add flavour.
Then you'd love Yamasa. Not only is it very salty, but it just tastes a little different than regular soy sauce. I don't know what they do to it, but I fell in love with it at a Japanese restaurant many years ago and as soon as I tasted it, I was like "Oh my goodness, I've GOT to find out where I can buy this stuff."

That just doesn't get said about soy sauce every day

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I really like it Linda it tastes fine to me and as I have now to reduce my salt intake even further for medical reasons it is better than no soy sauce at all
That's true. Whatever works best for you

I should probably reduce my sodium intake as well, but it's one of the hardest substances to control, seeing how it's hidden in many of the foods we eat. Restaurant food, grocery food... when paying close attention to labels, it's amazing how much salt is dumped into everything, even breakfast cereal.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

18-11-2016, 01:46 PM

I should probably reduce my sodium intake as well, but it's one of the hardest substances to control, seeing how it's hidden in many of the foods we eat. Restaurant food, grocery food... when paying close attention to labels, it's amazing how much salt is dumped into everything, even breakfast cereal.
That is so Linda I prefer to try to do things myself than to resort to medication all of which seem to carry side effect.

It is surprising how you can get used to things, eating unsalted butter and low salt bread is second nature now and if I eat not reduced foods they taste salty

I do like a tiny sprinkling of soy sauce though and find Kikkoman a quality brand and the low salt version of their sauce just a thinner less salty version very palatable .
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
That is so Linda I prefer to try to do things myself than to resort to medication all of which seem to carry side effect.

It is surprising how you can get used to things, eating unsalted butter and low salt bread is second nature now and if I eat not reduced foods they taste salty

I do like a tiny sprinkling of soy sauce though and find Kikkoman a quality brand and the low salt version of their sauce just a thinner less salty version very palatable .
That's very true, tastebuds can adapt. And really, I prefer unsalted butter to salted because you get the taste of the cream as opposed to the taste of the salt. It's wonderful stuff.

I don't use too much salt in home cooking, just enough to bring out the flavors of the ingredients. That's what salt is for, to enhance flavors. It shouldn't be so much that salt is all you taste.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 02:25 PM

Then you'd love Yamasa. Not only is it very salty, but it just tastes a little different than regular soy sauce. I don't know what they do to it, but I fell in love with it at a Japanese restaurant many years ago and as soon as I tasted it, I was like "Oh my goodness, I've GOT to find out where I can buy this stuff."

That just doesn't get said about soy sauce every day

That's true. Whatever works best for you

This is why I cook from fresh every day

I've been hypertensive since my 20's and at times hospitalised a couple of times because it was so high. Talk about a bland diet ahead of me if I'd carried on with the way I was eating

A saxo pot of salt lasts me ( family of 3 ) around two years. A little salt to enhance food is good as long as I'm not loading up on processed foods where it's hidden in vast quantities in foods you wouldn't be aware of

Now and then we cheat and get a take away, and we suffer greatly. Chinese and pizza are the worst culprits , I can feel my tongue burn and the thirst for the next 24 hrs is unbelievable

I cook Chinese and pizza at home. No salt at all added to Chinese , a wee dash of soy ( much less then recipe says) and a scant half teaspoon in enough dough to make 6 pizzas

A favourite 'meal out' will be breakfast on a busy Saturday. Neither of us take the sausage or bacon now because they are just too salty for our tastebuds.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 02:26 PM

Mines make your own yoghurt it is easy and you can make sure it's all good stuff no odd additives, or flavours.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2016, 02:35 PM

Just checked it out on Amazon...No way on earth would I pay 5or6 pounds for soy sauce...I'll stick to Chinese Pearl River at £1.25 per litre
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

18-11-2016, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Just checked it out on Amazon...No way on earth would I pay 5or6 pounds for soy sauce...I'll stick to Chinese Pearl River at £1.25 per litre
I wasn't suggesting for a moment you should change anything Malcolm

I thought there might be someone like myself who for health reasons had stoped using soy sauce because of the high salt content and may not be aware there was a low salt alternative. A bottle lasts me ages and only cost £2.49 a price worth paying if it helps keep me off medication.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top