Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 05:22 PM

Re: Immigration policy

People have their reasons. Dual nationality has it's own risks. Wasn't boris a US citizen until recently?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 05:25 PM

There are no good reasons for not establishing your child's citizenship.
The British passport is still one heck of a lot better than a South African one .
The disadvantages of a British passport are practically nil and dual nationality can be a bonus if both are civilised countries.
( up to now )
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
There was a desperate woman on the radio today. She was a cypriot who had married a Brit and moved here I think 40 years ago. She'd had children and then was widowed so no longer had a source of income. When she went to get benefits they told her she couldn't because she wasn't a citizen and she'd have to go back to Cyprus. As an EU citizen married to a Brit she'd never worried about applying for citizenship. I mean why would you? Now they have these ridiculous notions to pick on desperate people who have had a life in the UK for decades and all because of brexit. On the other hand they don't put any safeguards in place at borders so people who haven't worked hard for this country (and I include bringing up children in that), are able to get in with no checks, while those who have had a decent life in the system are treated like dirt.
I wonder at this story.

Cyprus is part of the EU so at this time she cannot be deported.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
People have their reasons. Dual nationality has it's own risks. Wasn't boris a US citizen until recently?
Boris Johnson was born in NY and has ( had) dual nationality.
A British child born overseas is usually registered by it parents with the British Consulate .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 06:57 PM

I have a friend who is a french citizen because he was born in Paris. His dad is british, his mother I think has dual nationality and has French heritage but I think she was a Spanish national. For some reason he has never changed to British citizenship, it just wasn't necessary. I'm not sure why they never changed it but there must be many like him who never thought it would be an issue. He's in his fifties now so it's not like he didn't have time. I just think there was no point as everyone was treated the same if they had permanent residence. He has always lived in the UK.
skxyx101
New Member!
United States
skxyx101 is male 

04-09-2017, 05:32 PM

People emigrated to greener pastures for thousands of years before artificial political borders were invented and that made their chosen destinations stronger and more prosperous. This recent appeal to xenophobia by certain political factions if sickening, it's like a return to the dark ages.
As an american I am embarrassed by Donald Trump.
WoollyBack
Lincolnshire, UK
WoollyBack is male 

04-09-2017, 05:44 PM

If we go back far enough, whether it be years or centuries, we are all descended from migrants.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

08-09-2017, 12:06 PM

Go back far enough and we are all descended from monkeys but things change .
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Go back far enough and we are all descended from monkeys but things change .
You sure about that?
I can see reverse evolution at work in this country.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

08-09-2017, 08:19 PM

Perhaps

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=maRanuCqY64

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top