Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2016, 01:44 PM

Re: conscription

Dear Lord, I daren’t even think about it! I have 21 children and grandchildren (if you count females as well) that all live close by and would be eligible for conscription if it were ever to come about. The mere thought of it puts the fear of God into me.

Over the years, like most of you, I’ve shed many a tear whilst reading about the heartache of mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, husbands, wives and children of those young people lost to us during two dreadful world wars and the more recent battle campaigns in our history,

When the last of my boys reached the age of 18, although I would never have said a word, I used to pray fervently that none of them would ever think of joining the forces. I also used to pray that something like conscription would never ever darken our door. They would be the first to do their duty, of that I have no doubt, but I used to have nightmares about it!.

I often wonder what must go through the minds of the parents in Israel as they say goodbye to their children as they are conscripted into the armed forces.My heart goes out to them.

I know I am being selfish, I don't care, my answer has to be and always will be NO to conscription.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2016, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I wasn't sure where to put this question , if it's in the wrong place please move it admin .

It's probably been asked before but what are your thoughts on bringing conscription back . I think it would be a good thing .
A dreadful idea. Those who volunteer accept part of the responsibility for going off to illegal wars, such as the invasion of Irak in search of non-existent WMD's. You can die and kill innocent men, women, and children for a lie, IF IT'S YOUR CHOICE. I wonder how parents and wives feel knowing that their loved ones were first duped in to volunteering and then killed? And if they were sent over against their will how much greater would the loss be?
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2016, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I couldn't agree more. Apart from removing some of the hordes of young unemployed men from our streets, it would teach them a trade of some sort plus hopefully instill a little respect for themselves and for others.
I am a war veteran myself (a volunteer) and I've heard this claim of "learning a trade" a thousand times. One day "over there" we were sitting about chatting about how we yearned for the day we'd return home. One fellow said, "Well, when I joined I was told that I'd be learning a trade that would help me find work when the war was over! Yes! When I get home I'm sure they'll be plenty of jobs for me to pick from as a killer."
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 04:12 PM

We have one of the best armed forces in the World, why? Because they are all volunteers, I don't want half assed conscripts defending my country, no thank you.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

20-03-2016, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
We have one of the best armed forces in the World, why? Because they are all volunteers, I don't want half assed conscripts defending my country, no thank you.
I take it then that when it gets thick you won't be whinging about the ones who won't step up?
Sundodger
Spain
Sundodger is male  Sundodger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 09:59 PM

No, no and thrice no!

I agree with the concept of some kind of boot camp type thing, even allowing them to perform 'menial' tasks if required to release personnel, but not full integration to the Forces.

Unless it is the RAF Reg (winky thingy!)
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
I take it then that when it gets thick you won't be whinging about the ones who won't step up?
Who won't step up?
Volunteers won't need the burden of unwilling conscripts or psychologically unhinged Rambo types.

They're not needed or wanted.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

20-03-2016, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sundodger ->
No, no and thrice no!

I agree with the concept of some kind of boot camp type thing, even allowing them to perform 'menial' tasks if required to release personnel, but not full integration to the Forces.

Unless it is the RAF Reg (winky thingy!)
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

21-03-2016, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Who won't step up?
Volunteers won't need the burden of unwilling conscripts or psychologically unhinged Rambo types.

They're not needed or wanted.
Yes, I am asking you ….. when the lines have been drawn, the lads are kitted up, and the fight is on …. you won't be casting side-glances at well-bodies males who are unwilling to put their “x” on the dotted line line at the bottom of the page - because you feel they aren't “needed or wanted”. Is that correct? I'm neither praising nor criticizing you, just asking to see how far your philosophy stretches and what the consequences will be for those who are reluctant to kill or defend for the realm.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

21-03-2016, 06:06 AM

I'd want soldiers by my side, volunteers not conscripts.
Soldiers that have volunteered to defend my country and its subjects, not half hearted conscripts that are there because they have to be.

I don't want conscription, mandatory service is not good and it breeds inferior military personnel, imho.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top