Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 01:37 PM

Re: choices and inheritance

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it left.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I started out with nothing, and still have most of it left.
Not a Public or Crown Sector worker then?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 05:46 PM

Too true DOE. Might be in the gutter but its all mine and my conciseness is clear.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2016, 07:33 AM

I did inherit something from my parents and it made me sad not happy .
I wish that instead of scraping and making do all of their lives they had spent it on themselves and been more comfortable and enjoyed life more.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2016, 08:41 AM

Interesting replies , we've all mostly done it by our self's . Muddys reply is touching . I have wished I could have made life financially easier for my two as they have big mortgages but they cope with it .

My younger brother inherited everything from our parents at 35 and life has been easier for him and still continues to be. He has no understanding of how tough it was for the other 5 siblings . He has choices as to live his life . It hurt the rest of us at first but we've all coped

Like us all I worked hard for little money and few choices but am secure in my little home and now semi retired .
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2016, 08:43 AM

I bought my house in 1966 with the help of £500 loan off my Mother for the deposit, earning £20 a week for 12 hour night shifts struggled to pay the Mortgage for the first 5 years.

Did take one holiday with my wife and child we went to Disney USA, cost 1977 was £1200

It was the only holiday I took in my working life.

My mother died in 89 and left me 70k

My wife's mother died about the same time and left her 15k.

My wife invested it in a business she sold it just before she died in 2006 and instructed me to give the Money to my daughter...about 20k.

So I am on my own I take at least 3 holidays a year to Vegas, do not work and live off my savings and a State pension of around £8k

Never wasted my Money when working always saved when I could for that rainy day
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2016, 11:19 AM

We inherited a little bit of money when my FIL died and we invested it in making changes to the home.

When we die there is no one to leave our money to so we are spending it. We have quite a few breaks each year which we are enjoying lets us see a few places around the UK.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2016, 12:25 PM

I cannot resist having a go at the git what spawned me. Only he the `accountant`(ie a clerk in a finance dept) was stupid enough to take out a shared appreciation mortgage. Possibly the worst financial product in decades. What a prat.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2016, 04:52 PM

My brother and I will share around $800,000 fairly soon.
But I'm 70 with health problems and he's 73 with terminal cancer.
What good's the money ? We own our homes, both have two cars, I have a couple of boats.
Kids and grand-kids might get a kick-start.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I've met a number of people in life who have inherited money or property when young which gave them a great start in life , taking away the struggle . obviously this made life much easier , also some inheriting in mid and later life . I have never been fortunate enough and like many had to work for every penny , mostly on minimum wage , therefore struggled . those who have been fortunate enough have their holidays , houses and choices . if you've been lucky enough to inherit you can make choices which many can't . have you been fortunate to inherit and did it make life easier for you .?
I inherited quite a lot of money when my parents died. We were comfortable before then, so it didn't make much difference to us. But I can give much more to our kids, which gives me pleasure.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top