Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 10:19 AM

Re: my table top camera rig

Regarding printing, I have a Canon Pro 9000 Mk2 injket which has eight inks but used mainly for competition printing up to A3+. Cost per print is high, so this machine is aimed at the solo pro who charges mega pounds for his / her images.

Regarding macro, my interests are clocks and watches, so in addition to a mini tripod, I use an LED torch to highlight, in addition to natural light. Auto focus switched off.

Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 10:22 AM

Anyone used Staples successor (Office something or another) for large prints? Or are they bog-standard quality?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 10:26 AM

Some great info in this thread - thanks and keep it coming .
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Sometimes object can't be inspected properly with the naked eye, Photographing it and getting onto a computer screen allows one to examine in better detail

One thing i like doing as another member does is to restore old picture by reproducing a copy .

If you get into macro photography it is another world which is open to anyone.

So when trying to get small objects photographed this is how I do it, others might do something different.

At the moment my neighbour has seen my work and has asked if I can do anything with some old photo of his late parents.
I said to him taken them out of the glass fronted frames and i will have a go , no promises.
So i have a choice of scanning them ( not had much success doing that) or photographing them, either way the originals wont get damaged.
My late husband was a graphic designer, quite 'into' photography and had a few expensive cameras and a load of equipment but I found that our small digital camera (Canon G7) is almost as good taking macro shots as his big Nikon (D700) ,.. and less hassle!

I used the Canon to photograph assay marks in a few 2nd hand rings we bought. As you say, the macro facility will show amazing detail. Far better than using a jewellers loupe, I found.

As for scanning vs photographing a photograph ... no contest!

SCANNING wins every time.
Scan at 300 and, if necessary, up the scale a bit too.
Simples

If you go to my website (in the Ads section) I have scanning instructions.
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 10:34 AM

When I printed my own stuff I had an Epson (Can't remember the model) that did A3+ and had a continuous ink system attached - which did bring the print price down. But if you didn't use it for a week it clogged up and needed cleaning. For my own stuff I now use a cheap online lab that gives good quality - and if they ever fade I can always get a replacement printed. (I have stuff on the wall that is about 8yrs old and they still look as they did when new.)

For clients I pay more for excellent quality framed prints, acrylics, canvases - whatever folk want. They have a 100% no quibble guarantee and nobody has ever used it. They can also deliver straight to the client with my branding on the package. They're not the cheapest - but IMO they're the best.
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 08:30 PM

I don't do a lot of table top / still life - but here's one Id did for someone.

MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 08:35 PM

I wish I new more about photography to really appreciate the shot. Going by my untrained eye it looks incredible enough though .
Mister_Oy
NW UK

17-04-2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I wish I new more about photography to really appreciate the shot. Going by my untrained eye it looks incredible enough though .
Thanks

I find for many the "trained eye" can be a hindrance as it can tend to focus on technical minutia rather than the actual impact and content of an image. "Camera Club Syndrome"
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mister_Oy ->
I don't do a lot of table top / still life - but here's one Id did for someone.

How I wish there was a 'thumbs up' on here, without messing around with the smilies.

Super pic
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB

17-04-2017, 09:35 PM

Thumbs Up !

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top