Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 03:03 PM

Re: More Grenfell shyte?

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
72 people died which is rather more than 'several'.
But if the company(s) responsible evade responsibility for compensation it will ultimately fall upon the government to pay up.
What responsibility for what took place do central government have?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
My query was about why anyone would buy shares in a company when the CEO has suddenly decided to sell a load of his own shares. One would assume that he might know something which would make selling his stock now advantageous to him.

One would imagine that people buy into a company with the intention of (dividends aside) being able to sell their shares for a profit at a later date.
Insider trading is something taken very seriously. As for selling shares an individual will often sell shares in order to take profit in order to reinvest in another company and so in order to take advantage in a "rising star" rather than remain on what they perceive as being a "mulch cow".
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
72 people died which is rather more than 'several'.
But if the company(s) responsible evade responsibility for compensation it will ultimately fall upon the government to pay up.
Exactly my point Xandra!
Why should the culprit avoid his responsibilities??
The tax payer should not be responsible for bailing out private
companies! Especially suspected criminal ones who should be
carrying a public liability insurance any way??

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 05:20 PM

Don't understand. They can only sell their shares if someone is willing to buy them. Or is this just one of those weird and wonderful things that happens in stock markets?
Yes Dex, the stock exchange is just the auctioneer of the shares!!
And you are quite correct when you say why should any one buy
shares if the boss is selling off ! Thats why the boss keeps it
quiet when he is planning to do a runner and usually sells a few off
at a time to avoid a run on those shares and consequent loss of
value !!

Donkeyman! 👎😟😟👎
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Yes Dex, the stock exchange is just the auctioneer of the shares!!
And you are quite correct when you say why should any one buy
shares if the boss is selling off ! Thats why the boss keeps it
quiet when he is planning to do a runner and usually sells a few off
at a time to avoid a run on those shares and consequent loss of
value !!

Donkeyman! 👎😟😟👎
That's what I'd have thought. But there are some strange things that go on in the markets, where people "in the know" seem to buy things which others wouldn't. All a mystery to most people, no matter how much one tries reading up on it.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

10-12-2020, 05:39 PM

That's what I'd have thought. But there are some strange things that go on in the markets, where people "in the know" seem to buy things which others wouldn't. All a mystery to most people, no matter how much one tries reading up on it.
Todger partly answered that when he mentioned insider trading
Dex!
Thats when a stockbroker recieves information from a client
and uses that info for his own or others benefit !!
Todger says it is frowned upon, which it probably is, but imo
more of it goes on than is healthy? Hence your perceptions !!

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 05:46 PM

Todger partly answered that when he mentioned insider trading
Dex!
Thats when a stockbroker recieves information from a client
and uses that info for his own or others benefit !!
Todger says it is frowned upon, which it probably is, but imo
more of it goes on than is healthy? Hence your perceptions !!

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
Yep, Donkeyman (ps, is there a shortened version of your name I can call you by?). Would have thought that this sort of thing would happen if someone knew that share prices were about to rocket upwards, so that they could buy cheaper now and sell when they're more valuable.

In the case of kingspan, if Grenfell leads to it losing value due to likely loss in orders and compensation, then share prices will surely fall. So, can't see the value of buying any now.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

10-12-2020, 06:18 PM

Yep, Donkeyman (ps, is there a shortened version of your name I can call you by?). Would have thought that this sort of thing would happen if someone knew that share prices were about to rocket upwards, so that they could buy cheaper now and sell when they're more valuable.

In the case of kingspan, if Grenfell leads to it losing value due to likely loss in orders and compensation, then share prices will surely fall. So, can't see the value of buying any now.
One reason might be asset stripping and variations thereof.

During the early years of the 2000's along with a couple of close mates i made a lot of gelt by buying companies "on their uppers", and having sold off everything not screwed down and buying back most of the shares liquidated the companies and shut them down. It's impossible to set out a one size fits all guide or reason why people buy shares but even in the case of a moribund company there'll always a good reason if you look into it and it suits your wants.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

11-12-2020, 01:09 PM

I dont mind what you call me Dex, a few call me donks and one, an
australian , calls me ass?? Take your pick !!
I dont think kingspan is worth fourpence at the moment?
It will probably start up again with a new name, using the money
saved by going bankrupt and not having to pay its debts??
If you have money to invest, dont invest in a single company but
rather take out a mixed portfolio with a reputable broker to
spread the risk.

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

11-12-2020, 01:40 PM

I dont mind what you call me Dex, a few call me donks and one, an
australian , calls me ass?? Take your pick !!
I dont think kingspan is worth fourpence at the moment?
It will probably start up again with a new name, using the money
saved by going bankrupt and not having to pay its debts??
If you have money to invest, dont invest in a single company but
rather take out a mixed portfolio with a reputable broker to
spread the risk.

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
It REALLY isn't that simple. The liquidator invariably extracts every asset in cash or in kind in order to provide as pot of money to use to pay creditors.

There is a strict order of preference in terms of who gets what.

The most that an ordinary shareholder can lose is his losses as a result of his shares tanking. For example I lost £36000 when a company I had invested in crashed and burned in the .com collapse.

Kingspan may or may not bear some responsibility but until where responsibility actually lies has not yet been determined and so neither does where liability lies be determined.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top