Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 06:08 PM

Re: Ying tong iddle I po/EastEnders

I don"t watch Eastenders or any soaps for that matter.
What I do remember reading a time back that Eastenders does not really portray the character of Londoners , who are are cheerful by nature and roll with the blows.
It is all doom and gloom from what I have read.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Did anyone witness that ridiculous scene in EastEnders last night?

The character, Sylvie who supposedly suffers from Altzheimers did a turn in the local pub, the Queen Vic. It was 'Chinese' night with Chinese food being sold and Sylvie was the entertainment.

Dressed as a geisha, she 'offended' everyone in the pub by singing the Ying Tong song. Everyone was so upset that the whole pub cleared out in about ten seconds. Everyone was disgusted and the pub was left with no customers.

Coming from the East End myself and not far from the fictional Walford, I know that at least half of the customers would have found this hilarious, but not the case in BBC land.

Still, I suppose we should be grateful that the BBC are turning their attention to an alternative minority group.
You must excuse me, but I have no idea why the BBC would instruct their actors to act offended at that song.

Is it a London (or a Longdogs!) thing or were they trying to make a political statement?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by mups ->
sorry longdongle, but east enders is one programme i can't stick. Most miserable lot on tv they are.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You must excuse me, but I have no idea why the BBC would instruct their actors to act offended at that song.

Is it a London (or a Longdogs!) thing or were they trying to make a political statement?
No doubt had some tenuous connection to Trump's anti-immigrant rhetoric.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 08:06 PM

Aren't Geisha's Japanese ?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Aren't Geisha's Japanese ?
I was just thinking the same thing ST
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
No doubt had some tenuous connection to Trump's anti-immigrant rhetoric.
Tenuous is the word, if that's the case.

I don't know of anyone who's concerned about the Chinese or Japanese, let alone Trumpy.

Whenever I hear the words 'anti-immigrant', my first thought is of muzzies.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Tenuous is the word, if that's the case.

I don't know of anyone who's concerned about the Chinese or Japanese, let alone Trumpy.

Whenever I hear the words 'anti-immigrant', my first thought is of muzzies.
Do you mean Andy & Jamie?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 01:09 PM

This should placate them:

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top