Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 11:43 AM

Re: Technology - what do you think about it?

Originally Posted by warleyron ->
I started programming in 1971 and worked in IT until 2002.
I've had PC's since sometime in the 80's Now use a laptop.
Can access internet on my mobile and do use it.
Sat Nav- no thanks. If I'm driving somewhere and a road to X looks interesting I'll take it and I don't want a machine telling me I'm going the wrong way!
That's great if you don't need to get to somewhere on time and something we often do on holiday, but when we have a vending machine filling round to do the sat nav gets us from one place to another nicely.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 11:50 AM

Only had my computer under 2 years - I like technology but it takes some getting used to for me. Wish it was simpler, my younger mind would have got to grips a lot quicker than now ...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Only had my computer under 2 years - I like technology but it takes some getting used to for me. Wish it was simpler, my younger mind would have got to grips a lot quicker than now ...
It doesn't help all the daft jargon, if people who made the technology spoke with normal words instead of making them up to make everything sound so mysterious it would make a huge difference IMO.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 12:21 PM

I'm not a great one for modern technology because, despite being in IT for about 5 years from 2005 until the end of 2010 and previous employments in quite technical jobs for many years.

I suspect it's just me and it's unfamiliarity now but I struggle with a lot of things because to me some things have become overly complicated!

I have a small Sony Video camera and all I wanted originally was to make basic 'movies' of my holidays and family, perhaps to pass on to following generations.

My first video camera was digital video tape and apart from the fiddle to get it all onto VHS, it was so simple to use and had all that I wanted - but then it packed up.

I bought a replacement which was also digital video tape which was smaller & lighter but it was twice as complicated but didn't do some things that the old one did!

That lasted just past it's guarantee - naturally - so I bought this Sony one but this time it recorded onto DVD, which is a lot simpler, but despite being even more complicated, it still doesn't have one or two functions the first one had! I'm no Cecil B Demille - I just want something simple and easy to use!

I understand that others may have the know-how to do all sorts but my point is the lack of choice; there's no basic technology for us technophobes.

As for 'phones I'm clueless because I can't use a 'phone anyway! I have a basic model Nokia Mobile that I use for texts only and I'm hanging onto that but even the programming our home phone (with integrated TAM!! ) is complicated!

I have all the widgets I think I really need now, including a 4 month old LED TV now that I still haven't read the manual on and as for the Panasonic still camera, I have to read the manual every time I dig it out to use it!

I'd never use a SatNav either.

If you've ever tried plotting a route that you actually know well on Google Maps you'll find it gives the most stupid directions and sends you down cart tracks at times so, SatNav? - no thanks!

My wife's the same as me too so I suppose we fall into the technophobe Household category but we're quite happy with that! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 01:52 PM

You've hit the nail on the head there Steve - basic, does that exist anymore - all seems too complicated for me ...
And Julie, yes the terms used are ridic ......
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 03:19 PM

o.k. when it works, our singing and dancing till gets fed up with working frequently
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 03:38 PM

Having had a 'technical' husband (he helped to design a mortar locating radar among other defense equipment) and a technical son I have had to embrace technology to fit in

I don't have a lot of the latest technological equipment though, most of it is too expensive for me and I don't see any need to ditch something which works well just to have the latest model.

I think there is a tendency for 'overkill' with some technology. Take my washing machine for instance, like most people I only need a couple of programme options not dozens.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 03:42 PM

I'm all right with Tech gear until the laccy band breaks, then its downhill all the way.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

26-01-2014, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Having had a 'technical' husband (he helped to design a mortar locating radar among other defense equipment) and a technical son I have had to embrace technology to fit in

I don't have a lot of the latest technological equipment though, most of it is too expensive for me and I don't see any need to ditch something which works well just to have the latest model.

I think there is a tendency for 'overkill' with some technology. Take my washing machine for instance, like most people I only need a couple of programme options not dozens.
Yes the humble washing machine, too much tech on them, although the ones we have here, if you want a short wash, you have to go back and do a seperate spin !
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2014, 04:29 PM

Our washing machine is basic - first installed when you could still get a "basic" machine 16 years ago, and it work just fine.
Why do technologist think we all need umpteen options in washing machines when most of us want something that washes, spins and, (sometimes), dries clothes without the need for an BA in Engineering to program the thing?! stevmk2

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top