Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2014, 08:13 PM

Re: Becoming a pill taking nation

I have to say Phyllis is the opposite to me, she'll take tablets at the slightest sign of headache, she has to take daily medication for a Thyroid condition(I think that's what it's called, I'm not very well up on things medical). She was anaemic when she was a young girl, prone to fainting and weakness, she used to take iron tablets and they must have worked because she never faints now, except for the time I offered to take the baby out in the pram last summer.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2014, 10:25 PM

My BP was 210/180 when i was rushed to hospital and put on BP tablets and told i was lucky ,I have to take them the High BP caused an Aneurysm in my main artery it could rupture .
I was on 210mg anti- depressant 10 year ago i have taken myself down to 70mg now ,I only take what is necessary.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2014, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
My BP was 210/180 when i was rushed to hospital and put on BP tablets and told i was lucky ,I have to take them the High BP caused an Aneurysm in my main artery it could rupture .
I was on 210mg anti- depressant 10 year ago i have taken myself down to 70mg now ,I only take what is necessary.
Sounds like my first wife - over 40 years ago she was rushed to hospital with heart failure - her blood pressure was so high the mercury thingy couldn't read it.

I presume she still takes the tablets, she is still alive and just turned 70.

Personally I don't have to take any regular medicine but I have a good supply of the wonderful Endone/OxyContin for chronic back pain but rarely take it.
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2014, 11:19 PM

I'm supposed to take 1 Ramipril every day for my blood pressure. however I sometimes forget - that reminds me - I've not had one today!
I was prescribed Metformin about 3 years ago and they are still in the drawer unopened...However, I AM controlling my blood glucose by diet & exercise, which is how I prefer to deal with the condition....

Regards, Malc
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2014, 11:20 PM

I'm coming out! I'm a pill popper and proud of it!
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

11-12-2014, 04:37 AM

Years ago I had terrible headaches that lasted 3-4 days at a time. I was prescribed pain-killer/muscle relaxer pills. It was wonderful to finally not be in constant pain.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 08:38 AM

I'm not talking about taking medicines to control / cure a medical condition.
I'm more thinking about the mass prescribing of drugs to all and sundry on the notion that they may prevent illness or death at some time in the future.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 08:47 AM

That's very different. I stay off anything I don't really need and question every drug I am offered. I don't take anything not prescribed either - a cold seems to last just as long with or without the cold remedies, and taking pain meds I can't chance ODing by taking anything if I get a headache.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I'm not talking about taking medicines to control / cure a medical condition.
I'm more thinking about the mass prescribing of drugs to all and sundry on the notion that they may prevent illness or death at some time in the future.
I do think some of these drugs will help people in the long run. For example, meds for high blood pressure. Controlling blood pressure can help prevent many complications. So I'd jump at the chance of taking such a med. However, I do think statins are mass prescribed. I decided to come off them of my own accord. It's not proven that they help.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I do think some of these drugs will help people in the long run. For example, meds for high blood pressure. Controlling blood pressure can help prevent many complications. So I'd jump at the chance of taking such a med. However, I do think statins are mass prescribed. I decided to come off them of my own accord. It's not proven that they help.
BP meds only help if you have the condition though they don't just mass medicate us like with for instance statins.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top