Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 05:39 PM

Re: The Dangers of Armchair Diagnoses

I used to be a real fan of Jasper Carrott - bought his DVDs, seen him live several times. Then, one fateful day, he was on the same flight as my daughter and I to the Island. My daughter (who had been raised whatching Mr Carrot) was very excited to see a celebrity and wouldn't stop looking at him. I smiled at him and said 'I think she's a bit star struck' - he looked at her like something on the bottom of his shoe and walked off. I've never watched him since - but I do remember and smile at how funny he could be. Shame his real personality was rubbish.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 05:45 PM

Already knew his character gal - I'm no 'expert' of course like say....Davo, there was just something 'unwarm' about Carrott, could be funny tho' - give 'im that !
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

26-05-2013, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Yeah - you do

No, you haven't. I related one small part of it: one small part doth not a whole maketh.

Screamed? I haven't screamed since I was child - don't even throw hissy fits any more.

Well, if I had screamed, this would be the point where I would say 'thank you' but as I didn't, well ...

Of course I do but it is not all-consuming, it stopped being that a fair while ago; it was a relevant thing to post on the thread concerned to highlight that I understood those feelings - that I wasn't talking from an unaffected standpoint.

As you have correctly spotted - I have not discussed things in detail; not because I'm bothered about FMs seeing those details just that it would serve no purpose.

You can pack that in! You start going all nice on me and who the heck do I spar with on here
there is another thought you may wish to consider in you 'pain' and that is some people hold onto past pain because they don't want to get rid of it - it has become a crutch - a crutch that can be waved at the wrong doers - family members etc. Removing the crutch leaves a void that needs filling and with what - I'll let you ponder on what and if you find it let me know!

ps: you couldn't get rid of that little lapdog that keeps following you around could you - it's so irritating when it yaps
mindbender
mindbender is male 

26-05-2013, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Gawd - tears of laughter - thats fab

yap yap yap yap!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->

ps: you couldn't get rid of that little lapdog that keeps following you around could you - it's so irritating when it yaps
You're 'barking' up the wrong tree there Doreen er... Davo
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 10:05 AM

there is another thought you may wish to consider in you 'pain' and that is some people hold onto past pain because they don't want to get rid of it - it has become a crutch -
And surely the key words there are 'some people' - you can't simply assume that everyone who has difficulty accepting that x, y or z happened does so simply because they choose to make their own lives miserable.

I do understand the point you are making as I had a friend who desperately clung onto her depression because she'd had depression for so long, she was afraid of life without it, it was familiar to her and something she knew. Extrapolation that everyone who suffers prolonged depression does so by self-inflicting it on themselves is fundamentally flawed.

People who have a relationship breakdown, especially one with their children or close family member such as siblings, that used to be an extremely good relationship, that becomes a form of mourning - the person you loved and enjoyed life with is no longer there (in the sense that they used to be) but unlike with death, the person you have become aliented from still exists but in a form that you don't recognise and that new form could be one that you find intolerable. Either way you want to look at it, it is still the loss of a child/sibling and I doubt many parents/siblings would consciously choose to repeatedly relive that loss willingly.

a crutch that can be waved at the wrong doers - family members etc.
I am sure there are people who are like that but there are others who don't feel the need to wave that crutch - it still doesn't follow that all people can let go if the want to. Circumstances play a large part in the way people react to negative situations which could go some way in explaining why some find it easier than others to blank it out.

Another point to ponder is that humans feel the need for a wrongdoer (in any situation) to be punished and show that they regret their actions (hence, a lighter prison sentence or fine if you plead guilty in court) - if someone sees nothing wrong in what they have said or done and refuse to see reason, how can you expect the affected person to be fine with that? It goes against modern basic human instincts.

Removing the crutch leaves a void that needs filling and with what - I'll let you ponder on what and if you find it let me know!
Again, that will apply to some people but you are generalising and applying it to all. My own experience, for example, there is no substantial void left by my daughter anymore and there hasn't been for over 4 years; does it follow that because the void isn't there that I don't miss the times we used to have or the person she used to be? Of course it doesn't; I will always miss that person the same way that I will always miss my father and grandmother - to me, the outcome is the same.

I feel great care needs to be taken when telling people that they are wholly to blame for their state of mind; I don't think science bears out that claim but am happy to stand corrected if it does (and you can prove it).
mindbender
mindbender is male 

27-05-2013, 10:09 AM

a great case of rationalization - happens all the time in counselling!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

27-05-2013, 10:29 AM

a great case of rationalization - happens all the time in counselling!
Hmmm - now what is the root word of rationalisation? Oh, that's it: rational!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 10:35 AM

Davo, your ridiculous psycho-babble is getting very boring!!!
mindbender
mindbender is male 

27-05-2013, 11:39 PM

yap yap yap yap

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top