Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 01:10 PM

Re: A bit Sheep-ish

Drawing and sketching are the hardest things to do. I know a lot of artists who can't draw for toffee, but give them a paintbrush and they are well away. I'm one of them, Nom.

I used to teach basic water-painting to the oldies. I would concentrate on mixing colours, and water control. Perspectives and realism was way ahead of the learners, and you don't need it early on.

Every journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. In art, you can paint a picture that pleases you on day one. Just remember not to overpaint it. If you are not satisfied with the end result, never attempt to correct it - it'll only get worse.

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 05:21 PM

It's my fault Nom won't draw anymore! I was a bit critical of one of his drawings, it was a perfectly good drawing, he's really got talent & I put my foot in my mouth as usual! Hope he has forgiven me & starts again soon!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
It's my fault Nom won't draw anymore! I was a bit critical of one of his drawings, it was a perfectly good drawing, he's really got talent & I put my foot in my mouth as usual! Hope he has forgiven me & starts again soon!
Nothing to apologise for Twiz, you said nothing wrong. Winter hobby, as i try to take photos when its warm and sunny, thats about 6 days a year up here.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2014, 05:36 PM

Good! Feel better now! x Jealous of your photos though!
Margoletta
France
Margoletta is female 

02-07-2014, 09:19 PM

Wow an impromptu art lesson on my thread. Glad you felt so inspired by my paintings, everyone!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

02-07-2014, 10:59 PM

Just don't get me started on charcoal and pastels, we'll be here all week!
Margoletta
France
Margoletta is female 

03-07-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Just don't get me started on charcoal and pastels, we'll be here all week!
**snorts laughing**
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2014, 09:35 AM

Of interest Margoletta, do you paint in the field or at home from memory or a photograph. How long does it take to complete them, and for me anyway, how do you know when its finished. ?
Margoletta
France
Margoletta is female 

03-07-2014, 01:23 PM

Thank you for asking, Nom

I don't work outside .. I find having a travelling easel and all that a bit of a faff, and I find it too hot outdoors here in the summer. Also i layer the paint on so it has to dry off between sessions or i end up with mud. So I work from photos, often but not exclusively ones I took myself.

Just to sort of explain, here is a photo I took while out walking m'dog

I don't draw on the canvas I sketch the basics in with a brush as follows

There were a number of intermediate stages as I layered colours on, for example to get the depth and variation to the foliage.

And here is the final picture.

How do I know when its finished? Experience I suppose. If I'm not sure I leave it a bit then look at it again and see if there is anything more to be done, I'm doing that now to a painting I started and sort of finished a year or three ago. I hated it so I left it, forgot it actually. Now I see everything that needed to be different, more shadow, change shape of something, highlight something else, etc and its coming on great, it will be OK when its finally final!

How long does it take? Well 4years in the case of the one I am finishing, lol! Hard to say it depends on the size and complexity, how fast it dries between sessions - all of that. The Pigeon Loft above, maybe 8 or 9 sessions at the club, about 2 months or a bit more including drying time? But I always have another on the go, maybe even two. So I can work on one while another is drying.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2014, 01:32 PM

The very last thing I do, Marg, just before putting the varnish on, is to sign it. That means 'Case Closed.'

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top